For those that live in a Santa believing house...

What do you do to keep the magic of Santa alive? How old are your kids? Do they all believe in Santa?

In our household we do the Elf on the Shelf, we buy a personalized letter from Santa that is stamped from the North Pole, and it also includes a video of Santa. On Christmas eve, we also watch the Santa tracker and we leave milk and cookies and in the morning they are gone and left behind is a thank you note from Santa. My son is 6 and I just love watching his reaction to all of this.

For those that don't believe in Santa, please move along to another post and respect our traditions in our household.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 8:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Holidays

• well, my kids are only 5, 2 and 1. we do believe in santa. we write our letters pretty early so the elves can make our toys first and avoid the rush lol. in december santa brings us prizes (candy, etc.) and a piece of the nativity scene in our advent chest (well, he leaves a note telling where the piece of the nativity scene is lol....like a treasure map). we also like to watch movies like the polar express and read lots of books about santa. i also have been proactive about the questions pertaining to all the santas in the mall, on the corners, etc. i tell them that they are santa's spies and they are watching to see which children are being naughty or extra good and they will write down names to tell santa at the end of the day. that has worked well. i also told my son that santa sends elves undercover at school disguised as kids to keep an eye on the kids at school. that has worked well too (cont'd)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• and answers the question of how does santa know who's being naughty and who's being nice? but my kids adore santa and i even found a book today that is about why we give gifts at christmas, etc. so that kind of bridges the secular with the religious aspect for us.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Princessbeth, what's the name of the book?
    JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I try to keep my daughters believing.I always leave a note on xmas eve, and always use special santa wrapping paper, and every xmas eve when its bedtime i tell them a story of once upon a time when i spotted santa and his sliegh!!!! this year my 9 yr old is having some trouble believing, so im trying to think of some more ideas.I think it would nice for her to have this untill she is at least 11.My 7 yr old still believes, but she does have her suspicions.What your doing is a really nice way to keep the traditions going.
    meleia396

Answer by meleia396 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Santa calls our house. He has our kids details so he knows what to say to them. We also love to write Santa letters and mail them out with Grandmas address on them.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• We throw "reindeer food" off the back deck - rolled oats (uncooked oatmeal) that I've poured out of the container. My kids had no idea what their oatmeal looked like before it was cooked so they accepted it as reindeer food. We also some years left a carrot out for Rudolph with Santa's milk and cookies.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Well up until this past summer our 9 yr old believed... both my dd's were raised believing and our
    grandchildren are too...
    we have a magic key that we would put out... we would write/email letters to Santa, set out cookies (freshly out of the oven)
    milk, and carrots for the reindeer .... and to end the night we go on Norad/Santa cam and track Santa ....
    But now things are changing a little since he knows that we are his Santa, we are still going to try to keep as much
    of our traditions as possible, but it does change a bit when they find out... :(
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• For some of you my lil post earlier called "Yes Micala, there IS a Santa Clause may help.

It amazed me how well that clicked for my daughter.
    It is my hope by sharing we can keep the spirit alive in th hearts of everyone young and old.

We do cookies and milk and the reindeer food. We decorate like crazy and for the first time this year my daughter understands what it means to share and give of those less fortunate and i will let her help me pick our angels off the angel tree and help pick out their gifts.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• hehe my kids are only 16 months and 3 months, but we talk to them about santa now. When I was younger, my parents did the elf on the shelf, and we write letters to santa and leave cookies and eggnog for santa and some carrots for the reindeer. lol. On Christmas eve my mom would take my dads boots and put baking power around it to make it look like he had tracked snow into the house and the tracks would lead from the fireplace to the table. LOL of course I believed it was santa. My husband and I will do santa until our kids stop believing. I believe in Santa still, and I am 21, he is the spirit of christmas :)
    Becca1189

Answer by Becca1189 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• we also did the santa tracker!
    Becca1189

Answer by Becca1189 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2010