can you re-establish your breastmilk suppy if you breastfeed but not often?

If you are supplementing with formula, but breastfeeding as well just only once in a while is it possible to re-establish a better supply? I mean if I were to start pumping again every 3 hours, would I start making more milk again? I don't breastfeed directly, only pump.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• if you only pump probably not. pumping doesn't work well for some moms....even those who ebf.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I agree with princessbeth79. I EBF'd all three of my kids, but when I went back to school after having my baby I found that pumping diminished my milk supply. The best way to increase milk supply is to breastfeed. A nursing baby stimulates the breast in ways that the pump can't. Formula is, in my opinion, the killer of breastfeeding in today's day and time. Everyone thinks a mom who breastfeeds is lazy becasue they would rather breastfeed than fix a bottle for their baby.
    Just out of curiousity, why did you decide to supplement with formula?
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I just absolutely hated breastfeeding. My milk shot out everywhere, the baby was choking, he was nursing every hour and half, I was simply exhaused and crying all the time. I would've simply stopped but instead I pumped so the baby could still have breastmilk. I exclusively breastfed for 1 month and then started giving a little formula and pumping. I sort of stopped pumping a week ago and my baby is almost 5 months. I feel guilty that he's not really getting the milk anymore..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2010