bottle nipple ?

My daughter is a little over 4 months old. When I giver her a bottle she gets soo mad and starts screaming, sometimes she calms down and sometimes it takes like 10 mins. She acts like she isn't getting her formula fast enough. I see at the store they have slow and fast nipples and the fast nipples say 3 to 6+... I don't remember buying fast for my son but hubby said he thinks we did.. so is it alright to get fast flow nipples?

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 9:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• absolutly it is. shes old enough. if you find its to fast then look for a medium flow nipple. i dont know what kind of bottles your using so some of them dont make a medium flow.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It could be that the milk is coming out too fast. Check the hole in the nipple, if it is big enough that you can see it clearly then the milk is coming out too fast, if not then your child may be going through a growth spurt and needs more food. Have you started solids yet? If not consider starting out with simple grains, she's old enough for it and it may help out with the hunger pains.
    Good luck, I nurse but since I have to go to school too my daughter gets the breastmilk out of a bottle and I have found that some slow-flow nipples have huge holes in them that makes the milk flow fast. Remember though, don't put the cereal, if you decide to start solids, in a bottle. Put it in a bowl and use a spoon. It may be messy, but in the long run it helps. Trust me, I've raised four kids this way and am doing the same with my baby now who is 6 months old.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Sure, if you think it will help. It's worth a try!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yeah, you just have to make sure it's right for your child. If you find that the nipples you're using aren't feeding her quick enough, then go to a larger size. Just be sure that it's not too big though. Make sure she's drinking/eating as it's coming out, and it's not running down her chin. (That's one way to see that the nipple is a little too big). Good luck.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I would try it.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I use the avent bottles and they didn't have med flow only fast. I know the slow flow isn't to fast for her she is sucking with all she's got to get the milk out of them now! I have tried a little rice cereal and she doesn't care for it she will only eat a few bits then scream and want to be done with it.. Thanks for all the advice I am going to try the fast ones in a few ( I bought them but didn't know if I should try) I might try and see If I can find med flow ones online! Thanks again!
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yes get her the fast flow my daughter did the same and it made a really big difference and less sucking. Remember this is all your baby eats she gets no more! So it's very important!
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 9:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• ok one more question will this make her want to eat more? she is eating really good, a little is going down her chin but she likes it, I am just wondering if she will want more..lol just so I have it ready so no screaming :)
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2010