potty training...at what age?

its been 9years since i potty trained my first now my second is 19months nearly 20months and showing lots of sighns of being ready. He hates being wet or poopy and will tell you he peed or pooped his diaper. he wants to sit on the potty and will he just never sits long enough to actually go. Is 19months to young or should i go for it? whats the best approach? who potty trained there kids this young if anyone?

Jaxsmommy09

Asked by Jaxsmommy09 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No! If he's showing signs, then do it!! When you put him on the potty to go, he might not have to actually go at that point. My son always went to the bathroom around the same times, RIGHT when he woke up, BEFORE he went to bed, and certain times during the day. Try EARLY in the morning when he first gets up. Get him on the potty and just wait for him to go. Potty training takes patience, just wait for him to go. He'll start recognizing the feeling associated with peeing and pooping, he'll get the hang of it.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• my kids weren't showing signs and I started them at 12 months and 13 months and they were potty trained way before 2. If he is wanting to do it then he is ready I would go for it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My son is 15 months and is starting to show signs. we just got a potty and will start training every day when he's 18 months or so. good luck!
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If he is interested do it!! My DD was completely potty trained at 18 months. My DS was 2 before he was ever interested. He took longer, but is now 2 1/2 and does great. All kids are different! Good Luck!
    willkanmom

Answer by willkanmom at 9:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i potty train them when they wake up dry from nap or night time. but my (now) 2yo just came up one day and said he wanted tos tart using the potty. so i let him. he is still waking up wet though (cannot hold it overnight), so he's the earliest for being potty trained in daytime, but my other son was fully potty trained for day and night by now. so i would say if he's interested you can start, but if it was me i would wait until he was a little older so i wouldn't be going through this hellish 'almost' phase i'm going through now with son #2 lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Go for it. The earlier the better.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• @amileegirl Why the earlier the better? We are talking about a child, not a job that has to be completed on a time line!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 10:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• We are starting now with my 16month old. Shes doing great. Just get a potty seat for the toilet it works better and is easier transition then it is to get them used to a training potty then to switch to the big one. If you can have them pick out the design on the potty seat.
    caponesmommy

Answer by caponesmommy at 11:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If your child is ready go for it!
    ashnbra1

Answer by ashnbra1 at 2:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• imo, Elimination Communication is ideal. But too late for that now~
    ;-)

So you can start making practice potties available and be aware that this "readiness" can be a phase. It might be another year or more before you really start to tackle this.

My second daughter was potty trained before that age, but she's done EC. In the schools I have worked in, usually 3 year-olds are newer at this toilet idea. Rarely are they done before 3.

So I say be aware and offer, be patient and encouraging but also be ready to let it go and continue the diapers for a long while if it goes that direction, too...

;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2010