My son is 17 months old and is still not potty trained. We are expecting another baby and I really don't want 2 kids in diapers. But he isn't showing any kind of interest in potty training. What do I do??

Lizard07

Asked by Lizard07 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give it time...with my daughter she was 21/4 before she was trained with my current 2 year old he is still not showing intrest...you may just have 2 in diapers for a bit
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 9:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• You have to wait until they are ready. You can't force it, it'll never work. They will be ready when they want. Until then, you're going to have to tackle 2 sizes of diapers. Unfortunately. Sorry and good luck.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• 17 months?!? I think you will have 2 kids in diapers. That is too young. I had 2 kids in diapers, it's no big deal. Wait until he's older to train. It's much easier to train them when they are at least 2 1/2.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Well, I'd buckle down and just deal with it. Because odds are he's not going to be potty trained for awhile. Especially if you are having another baby. The oldest tends to regress do to the baby using diapers too. Some kids don't fully potty train until almost three. I guess I just don't see it right to force a kid to potty train for the mother's convenience. By all means encourage it, but don't force it for your own agenda.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• my dd wasn't potty trained until she was 2 and a half my ds is almost 16 months old and i KNOW he will be hard to potty train, 17 months is early imo
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• nothing. 17 mo is too young to start potty training. let me tell you it's much easier having 2 in diapers than trying to supervise a small child potty training. if he has no interest in potty training he is not ready and if you push too much then he will become combative towards it. let him show when he's ready (and just a heads up he will probably be over 2yo). even if you do train him (not in a true way, but in a way where you train yourself to put him on the potty to avoid accidents, which imo doesn't count as potty training), there is a chance that he will revert once the new baby comes. my advice is chill and stop pushing him to be potty trained. he is too young and obviously not ready. if you keep pushing it on him it will do more harm than good and create more work for you in the long run.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Let it go its course. Often boys train later than girls ... 2-4 yrs old. So yeah you may have two in diapers for now .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• 17months may be to young but maybe not it depends on your kid. however if he is showing no sighns of being ready i wouldnt push it my son is now 19months and has started showing sighsn of being ready but even iam on the fence about trying at this age. i to will have 2 in diapers if my son doesnt learn to use the potty but if your kids not ready it wont work and you will just get frustrated.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I think you're setting your expectations too high to have your son potty trained this young. My oldest was 2 months past his 3rd birthday before he had ANY interest in being potty trained, and because we waited, the process only took a few days!! My second son was born when my first was 2 1/2 years old, so I dealt with two in diapers for a good 8 months, and it was really no big deal!
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I'm having my first in February. And my mom just told me the other day that you should wait until they start showing signs. Like taking their diaper off a lot or going behind something like furniture to go (in their diaper). She told me not to push him into it. When they are ready to be taught you will know. Good luck!
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2010