I had my first day of clinicals but

I had a patient who can not talk and I was trying to look at her body language to tell if she wanted to eat or drink anymore but it was hard for me to tell.

I did notice she was smacking her lips so did that mean she wanted more to eat or drink. The only thing I am afraid of is not passing the next two weeks because I have to have the same patient for the next two saturday's So can anyone help me out. It is appreciated :)

seanmommy428

Asked by seanmommy428 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Health

• can she shake her head? ask her if she's done or not :) just because she can't talk dosen't mean she can't hear
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Being that she just can't talk, I'm wondering if she can hear too? Maybe you can bring a note pad for her, that way you can communicate back and forth to her and know what she's saying/meaning a bit easier?

Good luck!
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I asked her if she can shake her head or blink her eyes and she didn't but the only way I knew she was done was when she turned her head straight ahead looking at the Christmas tree
    seanmommy428

Comment by seanmommy428 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• well there you go, offer her more until she turns away, like you would a baby GOOD LUCK
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Athomemommy that is a good idea and they did tell me the only way I would know is if she spits it out at me.
    seanmommy428

Comment by seanmommy428 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Clinicals can be hard with a non-verbal patient. I had one 2 weeks ago who was completely unable to communicate! I'd reccomend asking a staff nurse who has worked with your patient. Perhaps ask if he/she can feed the patient for a few minutes so you can watch and pick up on the cues, or at least ask how they go about feeding her- the staff nurses at most clinical sites are more than willing to help, because they remember the desperation of being a nursing student, too. Hugs, doll! Drop me a friend invite- those of us losing our sanity to nursing should band together! ;)
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Ok Thank you :)
    seanmommy428

Comment by seanmommy428 (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I was a Respiratory Therapist, so I have worked with patients. First, I want to say thank you for actually paying attention to your patient. She is very lucky to have someone like you to care about what she wants. I would have to wonder if she was wanting her mouth wiped off, or even that her lips were feeling chapped. That is if you thought she had enough food and drink. Always make sure to look at your patient's eyes. As they always try to talk with them.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2010