breafeeding nightmares

so my third baby is due in april. I think breastfeeding is best for your baby but with both my first 2 boys i had a hell of a time. with my first i had mastitise so bad it was surgically drained in the drs office i soon quit i was young and thought no way was i going through that again. My second son came 8years later so of course i tried again to nurse went well or 5 weeks got masitise 4 time in that period and had to have it surgically drained twice. the first time they drained it i was hospitalized for 3days on iv antiobiotics with a whole in my breast the size of a half doller and was packed with gauze for weeks after that while i healed. I continued to try and nurse after i was off antiobitics went ok for a week or so but then got mastitise again that had to be drained in the ER. I quit at that point wasnt healthy for either one of us at that point. Am i bad if i choose not to even try this time given my background? anyone else go through this?

Jaxsmommy09

Asked by Jaxsmommy09 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Health

• No I have never had anything that severe with Bfeeding...I DID get a clogged milk duct and I stood in the shower and massaged my breast and it finally loosened and the clog moved on out.

I would most defiantly talk to my Dr and ask if there is a medical reason you are getting it so frequently and if there is anything you can do to avoid it....if not...ask if they suggest you just use formula....what you went through sounds pretty harsh.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• it was very harsh. i have spoken with my dr and and they cant really find a reason why it happens so bad to me he suggest i dont try this time. iv consulted with a lactaction specialist and even she said given my history its very likely it will happen again.
    Jaxsmommy09

Comment by Jaxsmommy09 (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I am a super breastfeeding advocate I tell all moms to try it and give it their all...but it seems like you really have and have had some serious problems.

If Dr and consultant say that...then I would go with it. Formula will be just fine and you will be able to enjoy your time with your baby better not having to worry about an infection.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I agree that you should talk to a doctor as to why you keep getting mastitis.
    I don't particularly like my dr but I got cellulitis in my aerola not to long ago and he started asking about a history of breast cancer. He recommended I get an early screening done.
    He could, however, just be a moron like my first impression of him was.

Have you spoke with a IBCLC? The LLL? Maybe they could offer some insight.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 10:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Sorry.... I left this question open for a while before I answered. Just saw your responses.
    Have you done any research of your own?
    A lactation specialist and a certified lactation consultant are two totally different people, btw.
    I'd contact the LLL in your area.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 10:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• No, you are not selfish for not wanting to try again. I would do what you can. Would pumping the milk make it worse?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2010