Do you monitor your kids and teach them safety or do you let them roam free?

I am talking about the internet just as much as phones. My daughter is almost 13 but she is not allowed to roam the internet freely unless I am right there with her teaching and helping while also monitoring. She does have facebook that I monitor constantly and check. Do you teach your kids internet safety? Do you monitor them? Do you feel it is necessary to check every now and then on your child even if he or she is 16? Do you feel it is your responsibility as a parent? I personally do. I allow some freedom but it is earned. I am protecting my children as much as I am allowing them a privilege. I know we can't watch them all the time when they are not at home but is there an excuse for when they are at home?

JuJubean1979

Asked by JuJubean1979 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Our computer is in the family room, so I am constantly walking by it. We also have parental blocks for times that we aren't sitting right there. My kids are only 9 and 10 so they don't have cell phones yet. I have passwords for their email accounts and I do check them. When they get facebook I will monitor it. I'm not paranoid and I believe in letting them have some freedom, but I am responsible for them and want to make sure they are safe.

Answer by missanc at 9:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Same here!! I am not trying to be overprotective but at the same time it is our duty to protect them. I know we can't protect them all the time but it is our job to give them the tools and understanding regardless if they choose to do so or not when they get older. I guess it is like anything in life really. We do the same with the parental controls. Our computer is also in the family room so i am always walking by it as well
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My kids were born in the 1960's, 70's so we didn't have to worry about the Internet,thank goodness. But, I did keep track of them. I knew where they were. They had no car to use, they didn't hang out at the Mall, they came home after school and did their homework and....shock...they didn't mind beng home with Mom and Dad. They were good kids. After they went to college, I knew they could take care of themselves and use good judgement. And they never let us down.
    So....I think keeping an eye on them and being a parent,not a friend, was a good idea.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I supervised their bodies, not their minds. They were free to look at, read or investigate anything they wanted to...and expected to be watched while they were at... whatever they were at.

Not hovered over...just supervised. I always knew what my kids were doing and who they were with and could usually give you a pretty good idea what they were talking about (but wouldn't because if they wanted you to know, they'd tell y'all)... but I wasn't offering anything or interfering in any way. I was just there.

I don't think children who cannot make a fairly reasonable prediction of 'what is likely to happen if...' should be left to their own devices. Until they're about 7, they don't understand cause and effect at all, and attribute all kinds of random causes to things... and until they're well over 12, they're terrible at risk prediction and impulse control, particularly in the midst of those hormones.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have software on my computer that monitors and blocks certain things on the computer. It even filters websearches and youtube results. He dosen't have email though he does have a facebook account. He's 9. I dont hover over him. I have tested the parental control software i have and i can monitor what he's doing from looking at the report i get. He has no need for a cell phone.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• He is only 4 years old....but we do monitor what he exposed too. Harry Potter scares that kid so we have to monitory it some. We do encourage him to learn as much as possible. For example....we are teaching him all the religions. His knowledge or mind will never be limited.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• monitor*
    Mom2Just1

• I have an 8 years young and a 4 years young daughter I let my daughter play games on the internet and when she gets older I will definitely keep an eye on her and not let her just roam free...I have a few years yet before she has those interests....
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Always monitor!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:40 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Mine are 7 and 9 , and when they turn 13 i still wont allow them to have a facebook or anything like it.There is alot of danger out there with these kind of accounts.
    meleia396

Answer by meleia396 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010