Extra curricular activities for children. How much is too much?

sports, dance, art, music, etc.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Two per child at one time is our limit.

Answer by missanc at 9:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I think one thing per child is more than enough. My dd does ballet once a week. (5 yr) and My son does Cub Scouts once every other week plus activities...he is 7.

And that is ENOUGH!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• When they lose focus on their school, when the parents have no life and money is being thrown all over the place to do them. In my family...school first
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I get bored driving them around so I limit it to one thing per child at the maximum at any one time.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My DD has dance twice a week and gymnastics once a week, than for the summer she will be doing riding lessons (horses). If my DD is enjoying the activities and focusing on school as well than it is really up to her. She is only 4 right now so school is just fun.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I don't mind my ds doing a couple of activities at a time as long as he is doing well in school and i can afford it. Right now he is only doing soccer but in the sping he will have baseball and guitar lessons.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• too much is if they're getting stressed instead of having fun. i just do one thing at a time. he had soccer in the fall. now that's over i'm going to get him guitar lessons and in the winter he will have indoor soccer. i guess if he really loves the guitar he can do that once a week with the soccer too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I think it depends on the kids and what they are into. All of my children play soccer and swim. During the school year one takes art once a week and the others take piano. I really believe it depends on your family. I have a friends whose kids play soccer, swim, and play basketball at the same time, plus spring soccer and soft ball. Also all 3 of her kids take music lessons.

I have another friend whose kids only swim and that is it because that is what they are comfortable with. I think when your kids are little they should try all different sports and activities because they don't know what they like. As they get older I think they should stick with something.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It definitely depends on the kid. When my daughter was in middle school she wanted to do everything - town soccer, piano lessons, and a community theater play. I was worried it was too much and wanted her to stop 1 activity, but she got so upset it wasn't worth it. And, she made herself much more organized about homework on her own so that she could continue to do everything. It turned out to be a good experience because she realized she was doing these things (especially schoolwork) for her own fulfillment, and not because I was making her.
    gerims

Answer by gerims at 2:42 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• They are four, and we have limited activities to three days a week max, plus playgroups. This summer we did extra curriculars, four days a week and did playdates twice a week and it was too much.

Our ideal is twice a week activities, so the boys look forward to them, rather than try to find a way to get out of them :)
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2010