wearing a retainer after having braces?

My daughter got her braces off with she was 17...she stopped wearing her retainer after a year and her teeth have shifted very slightly since. It's been 3 years and the shift is barely noticeable. She doesn't wear her retainer anymore because she actually had two new teeth come in,in the back and couldn't get her retainer in anymore and didn't tell me right away.

Will her teeth go crooked or will they eventually stop shifting? They don't look bad or anything but I'm afraid they will get worse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• The same thing happened with me, only I had to have 4 molars pulled before I got braces to make room for my teeth. Then, less than a year after I got my braces removed, my wisdom teeth started coming in and my teeth shifted slightly. The shift is hardly noticeable still, after my wisdom teeth came in, 5 years later. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Oh, and most of the people I know who had braces and later a retainer, stopped wearing their retainer after about a year or two and their teeth remained perfectly fine.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• No one I know wore their retainer for long. The teeth don't shift that much after all the time in braces.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• They will eventually stop shifting. I had braces, then a removable retainer at the tip and a permanent (cemented on the back of my teeth) one on the bottom. When I got the permanent retainer taken off the bottom, my teeth did shift enough that one is obviously out of line with the others. I should have just had them leave the stupid thing on! However,after the initial shift it was done and it's not that noticeable.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My dd did that crap after I spent all that money on braces and her teeth are more crooked now than they were before the braces! I was furious.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think she will be fine, she is young enough too. If she were older, it might be a problem.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't think so, my daughter's didn't
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 4:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• everyone is not the same. the teeth coming in the back could be the wisdom teeth. and yes sometime they push all the work of the braces out of line. i would suggest getting her teeth looked at. just because they look okay now doesn't mean that something couldn't happen later. i had my wisdom teeth cut out right aftere the braces came off. why spend all that money and then have it ruined?
    kimber2465

Answer by kimber2465 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Lol...I'm 28 and still wear my retainer to bed every night. If I skip a couple of nights, there's a noticeable tightness when I put it back in, meaning my teeth have shifted in that short amount of time. I wouldn't risk wasting all that money and time (and pain!) if I were her...I'd go in and be fitted for a new retainer. That's just me though, and I'm neurotic about keeping my teeth perfectly straight. ;)
    plum82

Answer by plum82 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My daughter had to have her Braces put Back On after wearing them for 4 Years b/c her teeth shifted So Bad after not wearing her retainer! The second go around she wore braces for a Year & a half & wore her retainer faithfully for a couple of years:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:33 AM on Dec. 23, 2010