Quitting smoking while pregnant.

I found out that I am pregnant with my 3rd child. I'm 7 weeks along and am having a really hard time kicking the smoking habit. I was smoking 1-1.5 packs a day and am down to 4-6 cigs a day. I didn't start smoking until after my first child and I quit cold turkey with no problem whatsoever when I found out about the second. But with this one I am having a really hard time. I tried cold turkey but I turned into a crazy person and snapped at everyone including my kids. I feel horrible that I am still smoking, but I just don't know what to do. I don't go to the doctor for another week and a half so I'm hoping for some help before I go.

I am seeking some good advice, I don't need anyone to be mean or hateful so if you have something ugly to say please just don't respond.

sammyjo1327

Asked by sammyjo1327 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• try thinking of your baby when you want to smoke. try focusing on the fact that when you take a drag of that cigarette, thats whats going to your baby, NOT oxygen.

keep seeking help, dont give up, try gum or another little habit i kheard some people eat sun flower seeds?
    good luck<3 I wil pray fo ryou and your kids
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Hun, I know how you feel, I had to quit when I found out I was pregnant with my son, what did it for me was a visualization of that baby inside me smoking right along with me, I couldn't do this to a child developing. I quit for 9 months up until I had him, then I asked for a cig the minute I got out of the hospital. Make that sacrifice for at least those 9 months, it isn't just your lungs who get damaged but the lungs of an under developed baby, you can do this and much more. You will have withdrawal symptoms for the first two weeks and then your system will settle down.

Answer by older at 10:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I quit with my 1st son, but the 2nd son snuck up on me and I didn't quit. I cut down to 3 a day. So far my baby is healthy. I felt bad the whole time, but it was just a think I couldn't handle at the time.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i don't care what anybody says. i smoked on and off throughout my first pregnancy and my baby was completely healthy and smart. she is 5yrs old now. I am pregnant again. i have not quit smoking, but i have cut down a lot. i smoke 1-3 cigs a day. i listen to my body though. i have tried to smoke more than 3 a day and i get so sick when i try, so i have to put it out. most days i feel sick even thinking about it until after dinner and i end up having only 1 cig that day.

they only thing that smoking cigs did to my unborn child was restrict blood flow and caused my baby not to grow. it also causes preterm labor, which i had when i was 7months. i was on bedrest until 8 months and released. My baby stopped growing in my 9th month and i went into labor. at 38weeks.

So, yes there are some side effects. I have only experienced Preterm Labor and Low Birth Weight.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 1:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2010