If can't afford it, is it wrong not to have your kids in extra curricular activities? Is it a must?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• We can't afford it. We have five and their is NO way. One of my friends use to look down on me for it but now her financial situation has changed and none of her kids are in E.C. either. How can it be wrong to choose food, shelter and heat over fun. My girls belong to girl scouts because they are not too expensive but turns out that boyscouts wanted an arm and an leg for my son to participate. We do a lot more family activites than we could do if we had to shuttle five kids all over the place all week. We also sign them up for any reasonable opportunies we can find. My kids have experienced camping, horse back riding, soccer, cheer, and bible camp.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 10:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I think it is good for kids to have activities outside of school. That being said if you can't afford it, then you can't afford it. If it is between a sport and putting food on the table, go with the food. There are some free activities out there you can do, look at your local parks and rec department and in the county news for activities going on in your area.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i don't think it's a MUST, but as long as they have time to run and play either in a gym like the ymca or a playground it's way better. if you have enough kids you could just play a game with them, like sunday night baseball or volleyball. you could ask other kids from the neighborhood to join. like most parents i'm sure not all of them can afford all those games and stuff.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Depending on the age. I think from 7th grade on that some type of afterschool program is a good thing to build relationships, learn teamwork and stay off drugs. Now if a person can't afford a certain activities, there are always others to look at. I was in after school things for 2 years, 8th and 9th grade. By 10th grade I moved to a bigger school and didn't join anything. That landed me in the stoner lot.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• my highschool had a program that would cover the fees and such so kids could still do them. talk to your school about it! and there are ones that dont cost. all after school clubs in my highschool and middle school didnt cost
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I'm not saying I personally can't afford it. I'm just asking hypothetically.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If you can't afford them, then you can't afford them. I would try to find them some kind of after school activity though whether that is a free of charge church activity like youth group or choir or your children and yourself doing some kind of special activity regularly like once or twice a week.

I have two the same age, so I know how expensive it can be. We just finished with soccer, that I coached and after fees, uniforms, and my few coaching supplies it was over $700 for two months for 4 year olds.

Another option that you may not have looked into is through your city's rec program. They are generally less expensive and offer a variety of activities.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 10:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I think it is good for kids to have the extra activites outside of school. I understand that it might not be something everyone can afford. I would check with the programs and see if they off sliding pay scales or discounts to families in need. I don't think it hurts to ask and it might be helpful.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i found a coupon for for karate lessons and a uniform for $25.
    i also get groupon coupons and got 4 guitar lessons for $30.
    Anonymous

• It helps but no. There are other clubs and stuff in school that you shouldn't have to buy anything for. In the school here, the kids do small fundraisers to get their warm-up outfits and jerseys cause most people here can't afford it either.
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 6, 2010