stupid dog

I got a dog for my kids thinking they would have another companion to play with. Well, when we go outside the dog runs away and when we are in the house he stays in the porch and wont come in the main house- his choice not mine! I have never had such a weird dog before. Any ideas to bring out his playful side? He is a 6 year old purebred Viszla...anyone want him!!! Just kidding. Great with the kids just won;t play. Have had him for 5 months. Got him from a family friend and don't want to think that he was ever abused but I've thought the same thing.

MommysAngels810

Asked by MommysAngels810 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Pets

• I had a dog like that for two years. He preferred to stay in the bathroom and rarely came out except to eat. I finally placed him in a home with an retired couple and he finally came out his shell! Turns out he really wasn't a kid's dog. He tolerated them but he didn't shine until he moved out. We are a four dog family and all of them enjoy being with our family and no one is hiding out.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 11:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• A Viszla absolutely needs obedience training. Go to your vet and ask for a recommendation for a good obedience trainer.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• How long have you had him? He may still be getting comfortable - can take up to 6 months.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• did you get him from the shelter or something, maybe he was abused :c
    if you can afford it i suggest getting him trained by a professional that can come to your home.
    its not fair for you and your kids and its definitely not fair for him. no one is winning! no one is happy! i feel sorry for you guys and your dog :c

(when i read your subject "stupid dog" i was like, lol oh someones posting about rosco")
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Maybe he is not used being around kids... give it time.
    isabellem

Answer by isabellem at 10:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• hope all works out!
    Sheraymonet

Answer by Sheraymonet at 4:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• How long have you actually had this dog? All dogs go through an adjustment period. It sounds like he needs some training and socialization which even at his age is not to late for.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• He's 6? Well, the puppy stage is gone. GIve him more time to bond with the kids. Make them feed him, walk him, all the dog chores.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 10:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• blank stareSounds like my fat lazy cat that I got for my daughter. He stays hide in my room and only comes out at night to play. Talk about weird. I to am at a loss.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 10:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2010