Harry Potter--links

i know a question was asked a few days or weeks ago reference harry potter--well here are 2 links to check out--agree, or disagree?

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=24080

http://www.bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id=221 (this one talks more about pokemon cards, but mentions harry potter too)

jdmyangel

Asked by jdmyangel at 10:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm too lazy to look. Could you just tell us what they refer to?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO IS THIS A JOKE
    please.
    omgsh.

ok i grew up on harry potter and I consider myself a pretty good Christian. I LOVE harry potter. come ON people. get over yourselves.

I'm a Christian and I'm raising my kids as Christians, but I will start reading them the books as soon as theyre able to understand them.

my goodness that is just ridiculous
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:36 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• if you are going to ban harry potter from your house, than you should ban disney! Mary poppins, cinderella, beauty and the beast, the whole lot of them....jeez!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 10:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• LOL ElsaSalsaa I totally agree with you. People just need something to complain about and attack. I love the Harry Potter books and my 2 older children have read them all and loved. I am a Christian and I don't think there is anything wrong with Harry Potter.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• "Most people are probably reading this from the superficial level. But if you start looking into the symbology of it, you see that it's a real religion," she said. "If you start on the assumption that witchcraft is evil, then you can read it with open eyes."

WTH??? That's just stupid! I'm sorry, but there's such a thing as imagination, and it's not a bad or evil thing. Children should be able to read fantasy and not feel as though they will get in trouble or that they are doing something wrong. If you're going to ban Harry Potter, then you have to bad C.S. Lewis and the like. It's all fantasy, it's all fiction, it's all in good fun. Sheesh, some people need to lighten up.

And witchcraft, real or the make-believe kind, is not evil. Yes, there are some who practice with evil intent, but most do not.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Take your nuttiness somewhere else.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Just goes to show that one can find biased sources to agree with them no matter HOW ridiculous they are.  You do realize that HP IS fiction right?  I practice witchcraft and it is NOTHING like what the HP books are about, NOTHING.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Son of a bitch!! That first link set off my virus protection... there is something on that site!

anyway, HOLY HELL.. it is a game, they are books, crap like that second link is why I normally do not take Christianity seriously. A game cannot hurt you, cards cannot hurt you (* well, paper cuts hurt like a bitch) the books cannot hurt you...
    Fiction cannot hurt you. If you don't like it, fine, BUT, do not make it out to be evil.. when... it isn't
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 1:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• AHAHAHAHAHA! Hubs and I were just talking last week, about how in thousands of years archaeologists will be digging our shit up and come upon "the Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park" and what that discussion would be.
    "Aaah, here we have found the gathering place of the true believers, or Muggles as they were known. As Muggles we do not have the power and sorcery of our Wizard demi-gods, but still live in the world with them. So it says in the 7 books of Potter, the holiest of holies ..." teehee, we went on an on.
    We were a little drunk actually, but it was fun.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 6:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think that to each their own. If you feel the conviction to not read them, watch the movies, etc. then that's fine and other people shouldn't harass you for it. If you feel they're fine and you don't feel that there's anything wrong then that's fine too. I'm still on the fence with it.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:38 AM on Dec. 6, 2010