My 6yr old is generally a good kid but he is continuely pulling strips in school for disturbing the class and playing. The teacher says that he tries to be good. I have talked, grounded, punished everything i can think of and he still doing it. Is this typical little boy stuff or is there a bigger problem? Any advice?

texmom79

Asked by texmom79 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If the teacher is noticing that he is really trying to be good, but is is just not happening, have you considered if he may have ADHD? I am not one of those put them on meds parents, but my ds was diagnosed as "borderline ADHD" in 2nd grade he physically could not sit still (among other things), he knew what was going on in class, but just had to wiggle through it. If the teacher is open to it we ended up getting my son one of those balls that people squeeze like for therapy or stress, it gave him something to do that did not distract other students.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would also talk to the teacher to see if your son is always done first. I know with my son he started talking and getting in trouble because he was bored. The work was not challenging enough for him and he needed extra papers to help.

I would also talk to your son to see if he can tell you why he is acting this way. He might know why, for example maybe he sits next to a child that likes to talk.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2008