Do schools have rules on how short shorts can be

Just wondered. I dropped my son off (elementary school) for school today and there was a 10 or 11 year old girl waiting to get in whose shorts were all the way up to her butt (so low that when she dropped something and picked it up her buttcheeks were hanging out). Do schools allow this? Do PARENTS allow this? It was just kind of gross to see that on a 10 year old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• they generally do have dress code but dress codes are hard to enforce and parents just end up pissy if they are called in to take their child home to change because they let them out of the house like that.

complain to the principal
    Anonymous

• The dress code is atleast6 inches well a Dollar bill long if not longer but no shorter I know I use to get into trouble all the time when I was in high school
    Anonymous

• In my school and in my son's scool now the shorts, skirts had to go at least to your fingertips if you laid your arms flat at your sides. And our dress code was enforced in school. I had to put on a sweater one day I was wearing a tank top, my sister had to wear one shirt inside out for the rest of the day, and my other sister got sent home to change her pants because they sagged too low. I haven't encountered anything with my son yet, but I know in my high school it was enforced, at least for the ten years that my sisters and I were enrolled there. I see some of the clothes they make for girls now and it makes me sick. The other day I saw a girl about 6 wearing a short tube top, tight jeans and heels that laced up her leg. It just didn't seem appropriate to me. I would bring it up to the principal if you are concerned though.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• We have the "fingertip rule" at all of our schools.
    calico-kitty

Answer by calico-kitty at 2:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• For my schools its always been fingertip length. Yes parents do call in to complain about having their daughter sent home but according to the enforcers its for the best.
    prettyinpink007

Answer by prettyinpink007 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• yeah we have dress code you should get a student handbook every year with the dress code spelled out... most schools say put your arms down, shorts and skirts should be longer than the tips of your fingers. call the school.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• oh i know. the ways people allow their kids to dress (and even the way they dress their kids!) can be so gross sometimes. where my husband works there are a lot of teens and preteens in the area. i saw this girl who was no more than 12 with shorts like that. i had to struggle with the urge to go over to her and inform her that she'd forgotten to put her pants on. lol i told my husband if we ever have a daughter and she wants to dress like that she'd better do it behind my back because i demand she be clothed in public. ive seen toddlers dressed in skimpy little halter tops. it's disgusting.
    sunfreezeinmi

Answer by sunfreezeinmi at 4:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Our school has the fingertip rule too. It only applies to kids older than 3rd grade, I believe. This is because sometimes the little ones wear it, its not slutty, yet. Its almost baby-like. Also, no tank tops. The strap has to be more tan 2 inches wide.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 7:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Some schools have rules, some don't. Some parents have sense, some don't.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• umm yea, lol. i have gotten sent home to change so many times becuase of that! wow, that wud b grooss. 11? daam!
    tiffany275

Answer by tiffany275 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008