are you obsessive about making a schedule for your child?

I think that I may be a bit over doing it with trying to be a good mother. I come from a very severely abusive, unorganized, disfunctional home. I think I try to make up for it by trying to make everything in my 2 year olds life as perfect as possible in an attempt to be nothing like my mother. Do you put your child on a daily schedule? What I mean is we have a sleeping, eating, playing, and even a tv time schedule. If anything comes up during the day that affects our schedule I panic! I mean I seriously have a panic attack, and begin to fear that I am being a bad mother. Is this normal for a first mother? The schedule thing may also have to do with the fact that I served four years in the military..I dunno.

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 10:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• i mean we have a pretty tight schedule, but i don't freak out if it gets thrown off a little bit. i have to keepon the schedule though because we have to go pick up big brother at the bus stop at 2 and baby can't still be napping. i think it might be a good idea to speak to someone professional about this....it's not normal to have a panic attack if you're off schedule. schedules are great and my kids do really well with it, but it's supposed to make life easier, not cause stress. gl and relax....you're a great mom.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• relax, and live your life.
    funnygirlecu

Answer by funnygirlecu at 10:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• exactly as funny girl said and talk to your doc about some xanax or something for the panic attacks.... we have a routine but not a schedule so to say... if they stay up later no problem if they dont nap then its quiet time etc.... my one thing is i like me time at night therefore they go to sleep by 8
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 11:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I am a very unorganized person as far as scheduling my day. My kids are lucky if we have lunch before they tell me they are hungry. I just let things go and they can pretty much to whatever makes them ahppy while they are here. We schedule dinner, bath time, and bedtime. The rest of the day is free for all :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• You need to speak to a doctor about the anxiety. Over scheduling isn't healthy for a child either. We have a "routine". By routine I mean we get up around the same time every day then have breakfast. Lunch is around 11am, dinner is at 5pm. Other than that we are free to do as we please when we feel like (other than my older kids who leave for the school bus a little after 8am, get home at 4pm and do homework).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I have a general schedule that I like to stick to in order to give DS as much structure as possible and I believe that keeping him on a schedule helps him to eat, sleep, nap, etc. better but sometimes things come up or we go out of town or people come to visit and his schedule gets disrupted and I do notice a difference in his behavior but I want him to be able to enjoy life and I want to enjoy life without ALWAYS having to have complete control over everything.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I have my 2 year old on a schedule and I freak out a little when it has to change for whatever reason, but only becuase he gets crabby if I mess with his naptime, or supper time, etc.

The only things i really schedule is lunch, naptime, and bedtime. Those absolutely cannot be messed with.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• We have very little scheduling. We are willing to cancel things at the last minute or pick up and rush out the door. Children require you to embrace surprises and things you cannot control.

You can organize the closet. You can plan healthy meals. But the clothes and food are going to end up a big mess and that is perfectly okay. You are still a good mom.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• yeah it is good to have a routine but im sorry you having a panic attack you should check that out good luck mama
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My daughter takes a nap at the same time most every day and goes to bed at the same time or earlier every night. But other than that we just roll with it! I guess we eat lunch around same time too but that's more cause I have to get ready for work and my son needs a nap before I go.
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2010