What do you dress your child in?

My son goes to a daycare so I buy super cheap clothes that he can get all messed up. the thing is, he has a cousin who is in his class who wears like super expensive stuff. They are only 2 years old!!!! I never buy anything that cost more than $10 on him to wear. Do you dress your toddler in fancy schmancy clothes? Should I be worried about him being picked on already at school? I know the family talks about me cause I don't dress him in GAp and stuff like that while everyone else in the family does. I just really don't care about stuff like that. I mean I could if I wanted to, my husband is a civil engineer and makes relly good money. I just don't see the need to.

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 11:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree .. They're TODDLERS. Virtually everything my son owns is a hand-me-down from my aunt. Now I truely, genuinely appriciate her generosity in handing these clothes down. Without her my son would probably own two outfits, so don't get me wrong here. However, the clothes that she purchased for her son (now what my son wears) would never have been something I would've purchased. When I do purchase clothing from my child they're from Walmart. Good quality clothes for a low price. I don't worry about brand names or designer clothes, because not only are they out of my budget but it's a rather silly purchase. I don't understand spending 50 dollars on a toddler T-shirt or 100 dollars on a pair of jeans. None of the designer clothes are priced for the quality or for the fabric, they're merely priced for the name printed on the lable. NOTHING a designer makes is any different then what i can buy at walmart. So why pay that much?
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• dont worry about what others say or think. My son wears alot of hand me downs from his cousin thats 6months older. i dont buy expensice clothes for my toddler what is the point. they out grow them very fast plus we all know toddlers stain up everything they wear. if its your family making comments ask them to mind their own buissness.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• well, my middle son wears hand me downs from big brother, and i would say half of the oldest son's clothes are hand me downs from his cousin. the girl has only pj's and onesies hand me downs because she's the only girl inour whole family. but i would say i get most of her clothes either on sale or from target. they're not fancy. grandma gives her fancy stuff for birthday, christmas, etc. and she wears it maybe once lol. i don't see the point either. imean they grow so fast and they always get stains somehow. i agree with you.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Girl I don't think it matters what they wear as long as they're taken care of you know....my husband's, daughters mother is childish & very jealous of my kids for some reason and was making fun of how my 5 year old wears velcrow shoes...he has the Toy Story 3 ones & loves them, I was like are you serious? People that judge on what children wear must be insecure with themselves!
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Boy, you are in a tough situation. I agree completely that it's silly to overspend on toddler clothes for daycare, especially if it's a good daycare that has them doing messy art projects, playing outside and other things that are hard on clothes. The other little kids in daycare don't notice what each other is wearing, so it's really your family you have to deal with. One thing to try is to be sure you have a couple of nicer outfits for visiting his grandmother and aunts - things they might have bought him for presents. The other thing is to be confident in your own mind that you are not spending money frivolously just to make an impression. There's plenty of big expenses ahead, so who needs to squander money now?
    gerims

Answer by gerims at 1:47 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I know money is not easy to come by and kids grow out of cloths quickly however, I think you should switch it up a bit with your sons clothing. Today kids can be cruel even at 3 & 4 years old now-a-days. I'm not telling you to take you child to the GAP if you don't want to but there are plenty of clearance racks at any Khols,Sears, or JCP that have clothes just as nice. And remember Shout & OXY Clean work!! Lol
    ashnbra1

Answer by ashnbra1 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My daughter is always dressed like a doll, but her grandmother is a compulsive shopper or when I see something I really love I usually buy it. However, we do a lot of shopping at TJMaxx and Marshalls or The Childrens Place and Carters outlets. Sears does have great sales on Carters and Disney clothes all the time. I rarely buy anything full price.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My daughter has play clothes she wears to daycare and special occassion clothes she wears when we go to family functions. IT is completly unrealistic to dress your child like a prince/princess all the time unless you have money to throw away. I know yesterday I went into an upscale store at the mall and fell in love with an outfit but the damn thing was 35 bucks. I cant see spending 35 bucks for something my 18 month old will wear once twice at the most.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 9:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i do a combination of both. i got a big bags of handme downs froma f amily friend with all bunch of really nice close and consigment shops have really name brands. ofcours marshalls and tjmaxx. truthfully don't worry. i dress her in anything i want to dress her in. its all about presentation. i have gotten the most comments from things i buy fro $3. just have fun.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:58 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Most of my son's clothes are made by my MIL. She's an excellent seamstress and I get compliments all the time and people asking where I bought the stuff - but it was super cheap!

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2010