How would I go about getting my benefits?

My Grandfather is full Indian. He recieved benefits from his tribe? Is that what its called? haha anyway my Dad and his siblings never got the benefits cause they were born in a different state and weren't ever signed up I guess? How would I go about finding out how to get those benefits for myself and cousins now? The recession is taking its toll on my family and the help would be nice. I just dont know how to start the search

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• In order to get any benefits you have to be an enrolled member/citizen of a US federally recognized tribe.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Locate your tribe and ask them.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Through the government. You have to be a member of a federally recongnized tribe. and you have to atleast have 1/4 indian in your blood.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 12:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Find our what tribe first. Then contact the tribe directly. Be aware that the process may take some time. The degree of blood required for membership and "benefits" are different for every tribe. Once you find out what tribe, I would go to the reservation/tribal office to see if you can get a list of your grandfather's relatives phone numbers to trace your family. If your relatives have land allotments, the tribal agency has contact info. Whether or not the tribal agency will share that info is totally up to them.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 12:35 AM on Dec. 6, 2010