My 3 1/2 yr old daughter refuses to poop on the potty. Any ideas?

She continues to go in her underwear- I have tried rewards, discipline, encouragment. Nothing works. I've thought about putting her back in pull-ups, but her preschool won't allow them to wear pull-ups. Tired of washing her underwear!!

dlh1231

Asked by dlh1231 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would put her in pull ups anyways. what they gonna do send her home?
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 11:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• she is 3 1/2....i would just tell her if she is going to make a mess then she will have to clean it up. so she would do it from start to finish clean up her mess (with you supervising to make sure she's doing a good job), and she will get tired of doing that really quick. that's what i told my nephew i was going to do and he didn't even test me....he knows i don't play lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I know you did rewards although I am not sure if you tired this one. I took my kids shopping for stickers. The we printed a calendar page and put it up in the bath room. Every time they went they got to put a sticker on the calendar, after "X" amount of stickers they got a special treat, either ice cream or their favorite dinner.

Also, letting go a poop is a lot harder for kids. I know my neice hates going so instead of sitting on the potty she actually puts her feet on the seat and squats. For her that is the easiest way to go. Also you could try having her clean her underwear. If she has to clean up after herself she might stop.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Offer her a pull up when she needs to have a BM. It's HER body, and it's the only thing in her life that she and SHE ONLY can control. If the preschool can't understand that not all toddlers are fully potty-trained by 3.5 years old, it may be time to find another one.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2010