What would be the right thing to say when this is thrown your way?

So I am 38 with a 4 month old and I also have 4 other children. I have 2 older teens who are 17 and 18. Well here is the situation.....every time I am in public WITHOUT my older daughters people just assume that he is my baby....but when I am out with my older girls I have already got the comment are you the grandma or the mom? Well, I do not think I look like a granny at all but It's my older girls that I think confuse people. Any ways does any one Know a polite come back to this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• i would just say i'm the mother. i think that's not really a rude question....i mean i know it's none of their business lol, but the baby could obviously belong to your adult child
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I don't know. My mom gets the opposite. Everyone thinks my baby is hers.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I would just tell them and leave it at that. It isn't really their business but since your oldest is an adult its a valid question.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 11:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I would just be honest and say "I'm mom" It really doesn't matter what other people think and now a days you could be a grand mother at your age. I have a friend who was one at 36 years old. I understand how it is frustrating, just don't let it bother you.

Besides if you just say "No, I'm mom" the other person is probally going to feel embarrassed anyways.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I agree with princessbeth70. I have been in your situation. My oldest is 42 and my youngest 17. Many times I have been asked if my newest baby is a grandchild. But then I can remember when I had my first that I would be asked if he was a sibling. Don't worry about it. You have the kids at the right age that you are meant to.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 11:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I have a 16 year old neice and an 18 month old son. There are many times when we are out together that people assume the baby is hers. We have gotten nasty comments about her having a child so young and we have gotten inquires. When they are nasty, she just pretends that the child IS hers and usually comments that she loves 'her' baby. When people just ask she usually says "Awww... he is a cutie, but I'm just his cousin."
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Just answer them. I was a grandmother at 35. It happens

Answer by admckenzie at 11:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Just say "I am the Mom".
    Nowdays when there are so many teen moms, people sort of think that babies belong to the teens,unfortunately.
    My 41 year old daughter had a baby in June and her twin daughters are 13...people look at the twins and wonder if one of them had the baby, I guess. Isn't that sad? Well, really worse than sad. Tragic.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I have the opposite problem. Everyone thinks my grandkids 6 and 7 (we're raising) are our biological children. They do a double take when they hear the kids call us Grandma and PaPa..lol. I wouldn't sweat it. If you have girls 17 and 18 that don't have a baby you've done something right. I would just say "Why thank you, I'm the Mom of them all"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:02 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• lol
    i get that with no other kids
    i had mine when i was 42

if asked if i am her grandmother...i just say no
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2010