How do you train a baby to accept both breast and bottle?

I want to breastfeed and pump for SO and our boys so they can participate with feedings. How do you get a baby to accept both. What are the best bottles for this?

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think you have to "train" them. My grandkids have always accepted both....I babysit for th,m and they LOVE their bottles. My daughter pumps enough for three or four bottles when she is away and I feed them.....it is usually no problem at all.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My middle son absolutely refused bottles. He was BF until 23months. I went through every bottle and every nipple and nothing worked. This is why I ask.
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• "train" is kind of a silly word to use. But I did do both with one of my babies. I used Avent bottles. And it just worked. Make sure the bottles aren't flowing to easy or they'll want the bottle more because they don't have to work as hard.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I didn't have to train mine...she just took both. Wasn't picky about it I guess. As long as you introduce both right away there shouldn't be problems. I used playtex dropins but I hated them, they made my baby so gassy. People say Dr.Browns are good.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Avent is what the baby I sit for has. He would accept both right from the start. My two did as well. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:08 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• from birth we switched off, my husband would give him a bottle and I would breastfeed. I've heard Avent is the best type of bottles. Some babies are more senstive to the change, but my son basically learned from the start that he would have both.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 9:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Some babies absolutely won't take a bottle after having the breast, some absolutely won't take the breast after having a bottle. Some go back and forth with no problem. There's really nothing you can do to change the way your baby is... just ask any mom who has fought with nipple preference and eventually given up.

You can start a bottle around 4-6 weeks and then make sure baby gets one regularly... but that's even no guarantee. My first took one no problem and he just flat out refused them starting around 3 months.

Good news is that it's definitely not required unless you will need to be separated from baby for long periods of time. So, if he doesn't take one... it's not the end of the world. Feeding isn't bonding, it's just feeding. Dad and brothers can do so many other things to help with baby. So, I wouldn't really stress about it. If he takes one, he takes one. If not, oh well.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Oh, and make sure you're not in the house when they are giving the bottle. Take a walk or go to the store.

And my son who refused bottles started them from birth. My son who took them no problem started at 6 weeks. So, please don't risk your breastfeeding relationship by starting them too early... it really doesn't increase the likelihood of baby taking them.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Best thing is for you to be absent when the bottle is given. Be prepared for baby to still refuse it unless really really hungry.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• With my son we introduced a bottle early... we used breastflow bottles which are supposed to be more similar to the breast in the way they fill... you also want a very slow nipple so that taking the bottle isn't easier than the breast. We did 1 bottle/day when he was just a few days old....
    If your baby starts to refuse the breast than ditch the bottle for a while... but I think he'll do fine going back and forth between the 2. If you wait too long the baby will only want the breast.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010