What qualifications do you look for in a pastor?

We are looking for a new church after being at the same one for almost 10 years. What do you look for in a pastor? Just a preaching style? Is it the personality that is important to you? What about education? We just don't know where to begin. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We would look for a pastor who preaches ONLY from the Word of God. His preaching style really works for us when his preaching is directly from the Word of God. His personality is probably the least important thing to us, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter. As far as education goes, we have only gone to (and would only go to if we ever leave our present church) churches where the pastor has a Master of Divinity degree. We don't believe that most jobs requiring degrees these days really need the extra education, but this is one area where we do see that need. There is a HUGE difference in the level of depth to which a pastor can teach based on the M.Div. degree. We have listened to many, many pastors between me and my husband, and that has been the biggest factor in whether or not we feel they really know what they are talking about. Pastors who have simply been ordained by a church without M.Div. degrees are not for us.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:31 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• For me simply are they called to preach.. do they preach the word of God from a platform of Grace. I am not concerned about intellectual education but more concerned about their character and how they treat the flock and their heart knowledge of the word as well. Degrees are nice but that is not my basis at all. Anyone can get a degree and still fail at the pulpit!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• True, anyone with a degree can fail at the pulpit, but those without degrees fail at the pulpit as well.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Someone who is honest with himself and with us...who doesnt act "hollier than thou" I love our pastor. He wears shorts and a Hawaiian shirt and goes barefoot to service.
    Sheraymonet

Answer by Sheraymonet at 3:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• For me, a pastor needs to be a highly annointed man/woman of God. The congragation should be able to see the fruit of his/her labor. If he/she bears good fruit then you know that he/she is on the right path. I'm also not concerned with the level of education. However, for me, a pastor MUST be filled witht the Holy Spirit and through the Holy Spirit, he/she can have full understanding of the scriptures. I also only attend churches where The Spirit is allowed to move freely. I'd say ask for some recommendations from people you know around your area and attend some and see how it feels to you. Are they preaching the Truth? Are they not afraid or ashamed of the gospel? Are they having alter calls? Are they concerned for the lost? Do they support ministries/missionaries/community events (if it's large)? Etc. Those are the things I look for and I've been lucky. Good luck!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Their personality and style of preaching / spreading the message. No hypocrisy either. He/ she better walk the walk!

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 10:47 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have never been happy with the preachers in the past. I was never moved by anything they said. The church I go to now is wonderful. The pastor has been a Christian for over 50 years. He talks about life experiences. He's funny. When he is preaching it sounds like he is just talking to you. He doesn't yell. He doesn't wear suits. That's not really important though. We are a wear whatever you like kind of church.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• How to Have a Perfect Pastor

A recent survey has compiled all the qualities that people expect from the perfect pastor:

Click

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think charisma helps.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have the prefect Pastor for me. First off you need to know that there is a difference in "pastor" and a "preacher". A pastor is like a shepherd that watches over is sheep. A pastor is a friend, someone you can talk to spiritually, and a person of God's Word and Law. A preacher is someone that teaches the Word of God. My pastor is both to me. She is also a prophet, evangelist, and apostle. She has witnessed to me in everyone of these ways. I would be lost with out her. She has helped me form a better relationship with Jesus, and I truly believe she is a blessing from Him.

Pray about it and ask God to direct you to where you need to be.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010