im a soon to be new mom need some input on dos and donts help me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Health

• Not sure if there really are many because you will make decisions that work best for your family. A couple things I will say it this, you SO can take care of a baby just as well as you can so let him, you are going to need a break every once in a while. It is okay to take time for yourself. If you are breast feeding and it isn't working switching to a bottle is okay and doesn't make you a bad mom. You can never spoil a new born, so hold him/her and love them with all you have. Remember it is okay to get frustrated if they baby cries a lot. I used to put my kids in the crib and then go outside and scream if I needed to. Remember you aren't perfect and neither are your kids, it is okay to make mistakes. You aren't alone because most of us have been there and while it may seem hard in the beginning it gets easier, although the challenges never end.

Good Luck and try to relax!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Watch out for Thrush, it's not fun at all.

The father (or whomever) needs to be as much a part of it as you are, equal share I say. If he "doesn't know how" be sure to TEACH him not TELL him, no one likes to be told what to do.

Don't listen to people when they say "the first few months are the hardest" its all hard in its own way.

Remember that the child doesn't cry or do things just to annoy you; there's always a good reason even if it seems small to you.

Sleep when he/she sleeps, if you want "mommy time" get someone to take over instead of not sleeping.

Microwaves kill the nutrients in formula and break milk.

Babies don't need water, they get it in the milk.

Never put a child to sleep with a bottle or anything besides water because it rots their teeth.

After age two children don't need any more warmth than you do so no need to bundle.

Do what feels right to you, not
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• That last one is supposed to say "Do what feels right to you, not what others tell you. You are the mother that knows best now."
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:58 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I read a lot of books on how and why about babies. (And I'm not a big reader), I just wanted to do everything right. The first few months you will be in a fog, no sleep and tired all the time. This time will go by fast. make sure your hubby helps you, yes he has work, but you will not have time off from the baby and you will need the help. Some people will tell you not to pick up the baby all the time because you will spoil him, Will they are wrong! I picked up my twins all the time, I did what I felt right for me.
    Must make time for yourself, wake up earlier before the baby, use this time for you.
    Everyday there will be something new, enjoy it.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:05 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• 1.Learn to tell people to mind their own business. So many old ladies will tell you to put socks on your kid and you have to learn how to tell them that your child isn't going to die if they don't want to keep their socks on. 2. It is much easier than you think it will be. There will be times where it is harder than you ever thought it could be..but only a few times. 3. Make things easy. I would eat when my baby ate so I would have more time to do things (like sleep) and had formula pre-measured in a container to just pop it in. Little things like that are a life saver. 4. Take as many mom time outs as you want. I do. If I didn't I would have hit my child with a frying pan by now. 5. Make yourself go out. Get out of your pj's and get ready even if you have no plans. Take long hot showers. Go out with friends or just on walks with your child. 6. Take as much help as possible.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:33 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• hugs and good luck!
    Sheraymonet

Answer by Sheraymonet at 4:31 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'm going to DEBUNK one of these right now.

"Never put a child to sleep with a bottle or anything besides water because it rots their teeth."

I call bullshit on this one. I did this with my daughter (now 4) and her teeth are JUST FINE.

_Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My advice is simple. Always trust your instincts and love with all your heart.
    Mom2FiveBoys

Answer by Mom2FiveBoys at 12:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2010