What do you think of some one who got pregnant/had a child while they were under 18?

I honestly don't care, because it is not my life.

AbsoluteSelf

Asked by AbsoluteSelf at 12:49 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't judge. Things happen. I know I was having sex before I was 18, and even though we were using birth control, nothing is 100% effective. It's not only people under 18 that "forget" to use birth control.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I do think it is sad to have to grow so fast. It is very hard to raise a chid when you are still one. But you can do it! So good luck.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It's funny --it irritates the crap out of my youngest...but I'm a long-time La Leche League Leader and in my opinion, if you can do the dirty, you can live with your choice.

I have known some excellent young moms, although I have to say that I have never asked a mom her age --because I just don't care. I've known some terrible late-30s moms. It's not related.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I agree I don't care. Sometimes depending on the age I might feel bad for them not so much because they are having a child, but because of what they have to go through. I could not image my DD have a child at 13 and yet we know people who have had children at that age. I think I feel bad about what they are going to experience at such a young age. I think if more kids understood what was involved in having a child, not so much after the baby is here. The actual child birth process, it might change their minds.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't care. It's their life. I had my son at 16, so why would I judge someone else?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My son was not a "bad choice". I don't regret my past. It made me who I am. Maybe it wasn't easy, but I'm okay and so is he.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Wow Music, you are sensitive.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:02 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't judge, or look down on them. But I know it's a little early to take on that kind of responsibility. When I was that age I was busy having a ton of fun, going out, and living it up. I was also in college preparing for my future. I wasn't the most mature person, and wouldn't have made as good of a mom as after I got the craziness out. Everyone deserves to have that youthful fun phaze. It's better if it comes before you have major responsibilities. Or they have trouble being a parent vs a friend to their child.

However, some people are well equipped for parenthood at an early age and do a great job. But in our spoiled society, that happens less and less. Parenthood is a lot of work. Look how many grandparents must take on the role of a parent because it's too much for the teenagers. They're still just kids themselves. I think it's a lot for them to handle at that age.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 10:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think they made a bad choice.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:53 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think that it is unfortunate for them that their first time having a baby has to be so much more scary and stressful (I was 25 and married and it was scary and stressful enough) and that they have so much less time to mature before becoming a mommy, but I think that a baby is a life changing experience and even if it happens when you are young it is still the most fulfilling thing that can happen to a person. I don't even attempt to try to judge the type of person they are-that isn't my place.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:02 AM on Dec. 6, 2010