Christmas Trees??

Do you prefer live, or artificial trees and why??

Anidawehiwahya

Asked by Anidawehiwahya at 1:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Holidays

• We have done live every year until this year. We have a beautiful 12 ft artificial tree, and I couldn't be happier. They definitely don't smell as nice, but I also don't have needles all over the floor, and I know it will still be pretty by Christmas. Every year we had a live tree, it looked dry and dead by Christmas, even though it had a fresh cut and was kept watered.

Also, if I am going to go to all the work and many hours spent decorating the tree, I want it up for more than two weeks :) I think we may do both next year.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Fake for 2 reasons...
    1. Allergies to them
    2. I don't believe in cutting/killing a tree just to use for a few weeks...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I prefer a live tree. Probablly because that is what I grew up with. My uncle owns a tree farm and when we were kids we would go visit and pick our tree at the same time. It was always a great time. Now that I have kids I love continuing the tradition.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Live, it smells good in here! I have a nice spruce and the leaves are sooo soft!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:38 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I grew up with a fake tree. It was really old fashioned and each branch wires tip had a color and it went in certain holes on the pole base of the tree.. It was a 6 ft tree. As the years went by, the thick wire that made up the branch wouldnt sit right, so I would spend probably a couple three hours rearranging the branches to finally fit right. I have had a live tree since I moved away from home,,,lol never again!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:38 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Live, because I object to the amount of garbage ultimately involved in fakes, which don't smell good... And can't be burnt next year as your Yule log... and they look tacky... and they're bloody expensive... and the cats don't climb balsam firs because of how sappy they are... and I get to pick one out every year... and they're fun to throw off the balcony on Epiphany, and they're a great excuse not to put them up until the 15th...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:39 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would rather have a live tree. That is what I grew up with. But living in a apartment tower, it makes it difficult. As soon as we can finally find somewhere we want to settle down, we will buy a house and then beging getting live trees!!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:41 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We have a fake tree. It was used as part of the decor for out wedding reception so there are a lot of memories when we get it out. I'm not opposed to the real ones though.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I love real trees but have an artificial one this year. We have a small townhouse & just can't deal with the mess of a real tree (our last real tree 2 years ago came complete with real spider family!!).
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 2:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• ugh - depends on what part of me you ask.... I prefer live trees in that I like the smell, the whole going out as a family and getting it (a lot of places we've lived, we've been able to cut our own - sometimes at a tree farm, sometimes just able to go cut it).

BUT - medically speaking, I prefer fake trees, because I have allergy problems, and over the yrs it's gotten worse. Started with the whole "just a stuffy nose every Christmas when the tree was in the house" on to a rash where the needles would poke me while putting lights on... Finally, after I broke out in hives all over my body and had to go to the ER, we decided that was it for live trees. (I can camp and stuff with no problem, but for some reason, the cut trees in the house just doesn't work for me.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2010