Hey I am a mom to 9 months old son.. He has some allergy, i still have not found exactly through what.. But doc says it maybe from farmented food like bread,Idli.. I have stopped giving him any farmented food. I breastfeed him 3-4 times in a day and he had solid food for breakfast,lunch and dinner along with fruit juices.I have still not started him with cows milk or any kind of formula. I want to start him with cows milk but scared of his allergy. Need some help

Ajmommy06

Asked by Ajmommy06 at 1:46 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I knw nothing about the allergy you speak of but at 9 months he needs to be nursing a lot more than 3 or 4 times a day!
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You really shouldn't start him on milk until he is 1 year old. If you would like to stop nursing then I would say use formula first. Also, I would talk to the DR and really understand what he is allergic to because you need to be careful what you give him.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:46 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No cow's milk at 9 months especially with a child that is prone to allergies. Breastmilk is the best thing for baby and switching to formula would be a mistake (again due to the allergies). As a PP said you need to breastfeed much more then 3 - 4 times a day. Have you cut dairy out of your diet & his? A lot of times that will solve the problems.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• What are his symptoms, for starters? I agree with the others that you need to be nursing a LOT more than 3-4 times a day. Always nurse *before* he gets any solids and then at least once between meals, in the morning and before bed.

Definitely no cows milk, that's an allergy trigger. Cows milk based formula is also an allergy trigger... as is soy. Have you modified your own diet at all?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:47 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• 9 months is too young for most babies to have cow's milk, they aren't able to digest it yet. And with your LO having an unknown allergy you never know what will happen if you start whole milk early. Better safe than sorry as far as that goes. If your LO is wetting 6-8 diapers a day WITHOUT the juices, then he's getting enough milk from you. And at 9 months juice should not be part of his main diet, but can be a treat every now and then. It's empty calories like a soda or candy bar would be for you. Also, have you tried eliminating the juices to see what happens with his allergy? I'm allergic to apples and apple juice, the juice is way worse than the fruit for me. Try omitting the juices for a couple weeks and see how it goes, it takes a while for an alergen to get all the way out of a baby's system but it might solve the problem.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Hey Guys thanks for ur suggestions.. I ve not omitted dairy products from my diet.. I need to try that.. I mostly breast feed him... But i feed him 3ce solids in a day so that he gets used to it..

He doesn't bowels everyday.. he bowels every 2-3 days once! :( Can that be a problem?
    Ajmommy06

Comment by Ajmommy06 (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2010