How do you explain to your children that Christmas or Santa might not come this year?

I am in a real financial bind.. and at this point its the lesser of the evils either the rent or gifts for the kids and to me rent is more important but how to explain that to a 4 year old is beyond me

IDwahm4mykids

Asked by IDwahm4mykids at 2:00 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Holidays

• I really don't know how to explain to a 4 year old that santa clause might not come, my only suggestion to you is to go to your local salvation army or good will and get on the list to get toys for your child so Christmas comes.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Ouch. I can't help you, sorry, but I send my wishes. Maybe you could tell him santa is coming really late because there are so many houses (like he could come during tax season)
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 2:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have tried toys for tots but there is no room.. and yes i was planning on next payday which is after xmas
    IDwahm4mykids

Comment by IDwahm4mykids (original poster) at 2:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Maybe go to a food bank for your some of your groceries this month and use that money for a couple little gifts. I hope everything works out for you. ((hugs))
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Have you tried local churches or civic groups? If your LO is in school, they might have some ideas as well. Ummm...is there anything you could pawn or sell? I know that sucks, but if there is anything you could do without for a couple weeks, at least you could get a few dollars together. Do you have any family who could help out (or maybe let you say From Santa on gifts they would send anyway?)? Is there anything you could make? Christmas cookies or clothes or jewelry from things you have already? Would your landlord give you an extension on rent until after the holidays? If you absolutely cannot come up with anything cash, make the day as special as possible. Do what you can for a special meal & spend the day playing games & being together as a family.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 2:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would look into local groups that help people in need. Also, look at going to like the dollar store, I know when things where tight for us I could spend $5.00 and get the kids some good gifts. Also, look around at toys he hasn't played with in a while. I know he is 4 and understands things, although you could rewrap something he hasn't played with in a while.

We always try to donate something to this charity, check them out they have a lot of great information and you can see if there is a place in your state. http://www.toysfortots.org/request_toys/toys.asp

I agree make the day as special as possible! He is 4 so the magic of the holiday is still there for him.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'm sorry :-(

I think the pp's who suggested trying the "Santa has to come late" suggestion, or the pawn shop or the Dollar Store (or maybe a combo of them - like, go to a pawn shop, get a little cash, and pick up some stuff at the Dollar Store. Then you could say "Santa has SO many kids on his good list this year, he's only bringing stuff for stockings on Christmas, then he's going to bring the rest of the toys over the next ___ days / weeks, etc.)

I'm so sorry though - this is so hard as a parent! Also (and I know this doesn't help much, but maybe it will be a little comforting) - try to keep in mind that at 4, he's more likely to believe you on this, and also, he's not as likely to remember it yrs from now, kwim?

(((HUGS)))

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I had to do dollar store gifts for my DD 2 years ago....i know what its like. She had 5 things and that was it. She was 3....she was still happy. This will also be a good chance for you to teach that getting tons of stuff for Christmas isn't all that important. HUGS
    Sheraymonet

Answer by Sheraymonet at 3:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• The santa coming late idea is good. But you still have time to call your town offices, police department, fire department and ask if there are Christmas programs you can sign up for. Also go to your state, city, and county webites (Google them) and search for charity programs and/or use the "contact us" links to call about programs. There are many programs out there but they all have different names and you need to put in the research. You also might call your three top TV stations (Google CBS, ABC, and NBC for your area) and call them too if you do not see any Christmas charities info on their website. They all have these programs. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:42 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would try contacting some local churches. If that doesn't work just go to the Dollar store. It doesn't have to be expensive. Something is better than nothing.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2010