At what age do kids start preschool?

I know i'm thinking about this a little early my son is almost 2 but i am wondering at what age do kids start pre school? I live in ohio and at what age is pre school mandated?

Bluesdawg02

Asked by Bluesdawg02 at 2:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in

• I believe it is 3 or 4.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 2:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• 4-ish.
    When is his birthday? And when is the age cut-off?

If he is able to start Kindergarten later then preschool can be age 4 and 5.
    Or pre-k or two years of Kindergarten.

What kind of school will he go to, traditional/public?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My oldest didn't go to preschool and my other one probably won't either. We make too much money to qualify for Head Start and not enough money to be able to pay for any other preschool. Our state doesn't require school attendance until 1st grade.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'm not sure that pre-school is mandated. I know in MA the state I live it is not. My oldest started preschool at 4 and did 1 year. My middle one started at 3 and did 2 years. My youngest started at preschool at 4 and she did 2 years. Her birthday is in Nov and she missed the cut off for kindergarten so I didn't rush pre-school with her.

I think most schools start at 2.9 or 3 years.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• id say 3 for half days twice a week if the kid is interested and you can afford it. then I am waiting til 5 for kindergarten :)
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 2:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Depends on your state. Mine started at 4.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Once they're 3 here in VA they can start
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 2:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Pre-school isn't mandated, and neither is Kindergarten that I know of. Pre-school starts at age 3.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yeah, as others have said pre-school is not mandadted in the US. Just check around at your local pre-schools and find out when they start. I personally start a nursery/pre-k program with my children when they turn 2.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 7:32 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Depends on the your state. My county, preschool will be mandated in 2012. They realized the importance of it. By 2012, all 4 year olds will have access to the public pre-k. Right now it is based on income. For us, my son has attended a private preschool since he was 2.5 years old. He went 2 days/week for half a days. Socialization mostly. He is 4 years old and goes to the same preschool. He is there 9-12 M-F. He loves it. I knew when having my son that I would send him to preschool. So...we financially thought this through. The things they do like field trips, activities,etc. are so fun. For example this week they are making a HUGE Gingerbread city out of food items. It will be edible as well.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2010