How to tell my BF that I don't like his family name?

If I ever HAVE to tell him. What do I say without hurting his feelings? I love him dearly, but in case we get married one day, there is no way, that I will take on his last name. It sounds ridiculous, to be totally honest. But I can't really tell him that so I need another strategy. Please help. Don't bash.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• Do you have a career? I have a friend who hasnt legally changed her name because everyone knows her last name as her maiden name, and doesnt want to change it in case people dont know who she is. On social networks she uses her husbands name, but in the professional world its her maiden name. So maybe you can use that as an excuse!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• What about hypenating it?

I could never imagine not taking my husbands last name at all.

I mean what would the annouce you as? Instead of "Mr. and Mrs. Scott Smith" it would be "Mr. Smith and Mrs. Johnson"?????

What is his last name that it's THAT bad?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i have a shitty last name i wanna hear this one... i cannot imagine bypassing his last name altogether unless he hates it too and wants to take your last name..
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 3:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Just tell him that many women these days do not change their last names when they marry. Tell him you don't want to have to change your name on everything at work, your dl, your passport, your charge cards, bank accounts, emails etc. As far as children go there are a lot of children who do not have the same last name as their mothers due to divorce etc. It is not a problem.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Sorry, can't tell. There's family around here on CM.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I am not sure there is an easy way to tell him either unless like MoMoFu said he doesn't like it either. I have a friend who did like his last name so when he got married he took his wife's. Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• just tell him that you want to keep your name if you ever get married
    Sheraymonet

Answer by Sheraymonet at 3:37 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• There is no way around this one. If you are emotionally invested in the relationship, you have to tell him, but I wouldn't bring it up until after you two are seriously considering marriage.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I know a husband who took his wife's last name.... Agree with Sherymonet... just say you're keeping your own name and he's welcome to share it :)
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 3:47 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think I would just do it. If you have a child then what about the child's last name. I knew a woman who took the last name roach. It can't be worse than that. We do these things for the ones we love.

Good luck

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 5:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2010