Ok..I have a dumb question, but I would like an answer..

I was just wondering one day, it was a day I was bored out of my mind, and no I don't do drugs, but anyway, here's the question:
The USA is in North America. So is Canada. Why are we the ones considered the "Americans"? If you live in Canada, then you're a Canadian. If you live in the U.S. shouldn't you be called a "United Statesian" .....But think about it people. It makes sense right?...lol

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 3:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We are the United States of AMERICA , thus "Americans" I think other countries just came up with better names :) Think of all the countries in South America. I wonder why we didn't pick a better name.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Fun question BTW
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I understand where the American comes from. I just want to know, why are we the ones called Americans? When really, we are not the only country, in North "AMERICA"...but I did say it was a stupid question
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 3:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• yeah. It drives the Canadians crazy sometimes, too.
    gerims

Answer by gerims at 3:46 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Every state has a name I am an Oregonian
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 4:48 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think the USA has more names than Canada but I'm not sure?
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 4:49 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have wondered it many times, so don't feel stupid :P
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 4:58 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• th othere thing that puzzles me is in the us most say they speak ENGLISH but sahudnt that be AMERICAN? lol good ? lol
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Wouldn't people from South and Central America be able to claim "American" status, too?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:38 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We speak English because the language came with the Pilgrims from England. Just like people in many countries speak Spanish because the language came with settlers/explorers/conquers from Spain.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 9:47 AM on Dec. 6, 2010