to de-claw or not to de-claw?

what did you do?

Sheraymonet

Asked by Sheraymonet at 4:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Pets

• That depends do you have an inside cat or is it outside mose of the time?
    If its only inside de-claw, outside it can't defend itself or be a mouser.
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 4:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• most not mose
    nowmommyof2

• agree with PP
    my friend had a mean cat that scratched the crap out of people, so she just declawed the front claws. I have never declawed any of my cats
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:48 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• De-clawing is awful. It's mean, they either rip out the nails at the root and glue them closed so they can't re-grow, or they amputate the toes just before the top knuckle. Ugh. I never would de-claw a cat, even if mine weren't outdoors as often as they're in.

If the cat's going to be indoors, and you choose to leave it clawed, get a scratching post or something. I've never had any issues with any of my cats clawing up the furniture and I've had a ton of cats in my life. We only have 1 now, but she has her claws and our furniture is intact.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 5:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'm totally with AnnieMcD on this one. I've had over 15 cats in my life and we never declawed any of them. My aunt had a declawed cat while she was living in an apartment on the 2nd or 3rd floor and her cat fell off their balcony because he couldn't hold on. A friend of mine got a cat from his grandma and she'd been declawed and after that, she got really mean and only likes one person. Another of my aunts is a vet-tech and she rants all the time about people bringing pets in for declawing or having ears or tails cropped. I think it's an awful thing to do to an animal and I would never do it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:20 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It really depends on the situation. If you are thinking of declawing just to do it with out trying any training then no you shouldn't do it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'm with AnnieMcD and Mrs.BAT on this. I just don't think that in 99% of situations that there's any good reason to do it. I have a male cat who we adopted when he was 9 months old and he was already declawed by his previous owners. He's a sweetie, but he's always a little fearful and skittish, especially around our other cats, and I think it's probably because he's declawed. He knows he doesn't have any way to defend himself. Please, if you are considering doing this, look at all available alternatives, such as training kitty to use a scratching post or putting SoftPaws nail caps on instead.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i have lots of cats and if he/she is an inside cat then deff declaw, but outside deff not!!!!
    gracielovesmom

Answer by gracielovesmom at 10:08 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• NOT! It's cruel and inhumane. Get a scratching post.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 10:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I thought de clawing was illegal and animal abuse.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2010