vacuum cleaners

I think I am close to killing another vacuum cleaner! It seems like I go through about one a year, we have 2 large dogs and a cat that shed all year so I try to vacuum everyday, but realistically it probably ends up being every other day. Any suggestions? And if you say a Dyson, how do I convince hubby that the cost is worth it?

goaliemom93

Asked by goaliemom93 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Shopping

• I don't know how you convince him. All I know is I love my Dyson. The cost was only about $100 more than the last vacuum I bought and it isn't even in the same ballpark as the Dyson. If you buy cheap...cheap is exactly what you get. My sister joked and said 'they'll have to pry your Dyson from your cold, dead hands"..lol
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I have a Dyson and a Rainbow $$$$ I got my Dyson from http://www.heartlandamerica.com at a discounted rate.. They are refurbished and I have had NO issues with it.... I will be honest my Rainbow has allot more sucking then the Dyson.. Lowes or Home Depot usually have decent prices on the other brands..
    JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• You know what? I have a Rainbow (which is a $1000+ machine) and a $44 Bissell that I picked up at Target 6 months ago. I like the Bissell better.

Consumer Reports rated a couple of Kenmore uprights as the two best vacuum cleaners. One was $350 and one was $250, I think. I wish I had access to it right now or I'd copy it over for you. Anyway, they really do not recommend the Dysons.

How much do you want to spend?
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 9:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I love my Dyson -- you might see if you can get one at your local Linen's N things -- since they are going out of business I would try to snag one as they increase the discounts. My Mom has a Sebo and she is loyal to it... but its way more then the Dyson.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I LOVE my Dyson infact, my old vacs would clog like nobodies business because I have a HUSKY or sheds like nobodies business. Every since I have had my dyson (since mothers day) I have to tell it everyday how much I love and appriciate it (kinda what your suppose to do with your hubby) I have the animal dyson and yes it is tons of money, but I will NEVER use another fac again!! Maybe you could ask your hubby to buy it and if it doesn't meet his expectations then take it back!! But I can promise you that wount happen. If you have an Ollies around they sometimes have them for cheap! Check on ebay for used ones! They have great warranties
    determind

Answer by determind at 11:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Find out what the warranty is on a dyson- and tell him that it'll last so many years. If you're buying a new VC every year, a dyson over time would HAVE to be cheaper.

And then tell him- "because I friggin said so"
    Katrinka_Renee

Answer by Katrinka_Renee at 12:56 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I have an animal dyson too. its the BEST! I've never had a better vacuum and I have had many. I swear its probably sucking up dirt from UNDER my rug.   the only other one that has come close was a kenmore cannister that I used exclusively for over 14 yrs. I still have it in my garage and I use it now to just vacuum our cars out.  The suction has never come close to my dyson BUT its very reliable. It been through a lot and still continues to work. Really though I LOVE my dyson sooo much.  I threaten my kids within an inch of their lives if they even try to touch it!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• OH and I got it on clearance (it was a floor model) at Target. It was less then $300.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Thank you all, I had not thought of the obvious argument that if a more expensive one lasts even twice as long it will be worth the extra cost. I usually spend around $200 depending on what the money situation is at the time it dies. I am just soooo sick of buying new vacuum cleaners!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• There are other animal vacuum cleaners out there that aren't as expensive as a dyson...I personally feel that there is alot of hype backing the dyson products, they are good, of course they are, but there are some other vacuums that aren't as expensive but do just as good a job...you just gotta look around, but definately something that has the filters specially designed for pet hair. Take Care
    bethysmiles29

Answer by bethysmiles29 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2008