Monitoring kids computer activities

in this day and age, is it completely rational to expect to have 100% control?

they have access to multimedia everywhere...libraries, school, friend's homes, borrowing an Ipod or Blackberry, etc.... outside of the home, its outside our field of control isn't it?

The kids know this, too. Do you honestly feel they don't take advantage of that opportunity? There'd be next to no way to know what they do when you're not with them. Many kids know more about computers and how to cover their tracks than we do.

Talking about older kids, of course.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Every rational parent knows that you can not control everything their child does. Especially when they are not with you. We all try to teach our kids good from bad, right from wrong.  Our kids will do thing whe we are not looking or we are not there. We just have to hope they do not make to big of mistakes that can not be fixed.

Answer by louise2 at 7:39 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I understand what you are saying and I have no doubt that my kids are smart when it comes to computers. The one thing I believe is being honest with your kids and talking to them about everything. That way if they have a question about something they will more than likely come to us to talk. I know this has happened because my oldest son heard a joke about BJ's and he didn't know what it was. Instead of asking his friends he pretended he understood and then came home and asked about it. I explained it to him. When he is embarrassed about something we write notes back and forth to each other, this seems to work. I think it is natrual to be curious and when we were kids we had magazines to look at, now it is much different. I think if you teach your kids they will hopefully make the right decisions.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:41 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You do your best. Rational or not.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• my kid is homeschoold and i sometimes catch her on addicting games or something so i put parental controls on the websites and tell her to do her school then go out sie and play or go cannoing in the lagoon in our backyard:)
    you are doing well any way i bet:D
    gracielovesmom

Answer by gracielovesmom at 10:39 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My oldest is only 10 and I know I can only control what she does at home. She isn't allowed to use the computer at all unless it's for school and I have proof that she has to do research or something (because she has been known to lie and say she has to do stuff on the computer and the second I turn my back she's screwing around on my facebook or something). What she does away from me...I can't control. I know they get on the internet at school and I have no idea what she does at her friends' houses. Her ban from the computer has nothing to do with her going to inappropriate sites (other than facebook--she just likes to play the games) but the fact that she gets on without permission and lies about it. Otherwise I wouldn't care.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think if you teach them right and they respect you and your rules every thing will be okay.
    seashore29

Answer by seashore29 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• On the advice of a friend in computers I use a key logger on the computers of my kids. And they know its there. I can see everything they look at and everything they type. And they know not to try and go places they shouldn't. So far no problems.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• @lamasinglemom99... that only works when they are physically in your home. If they are older kids and have access to a friend's computers or can go to the library or use someone's Ipod, then guess what, they are free to go to whatever sites they want. There is no 100% control.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 6:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2010