Why stop the tax cuts for just the middle class?

The Republicans stopped a tax cut for the middle class to allow everyone (including rich folks) a tax cut. Am I wrong to assume that if you have more, that your sumbolic bootstraps shouldnt also be pulled tighter?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 7:31 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If you make 20,000 a year and your tax rate is about 26%, you're paying $5200/year. If you make $150,000, you are in the 35% bracket and are paying $52,500. If you are at the $250,000, you are in the 40% tax bracket and are paying $100,000. (Based on last years tax tables).

The "upper class" is taxed heavily as it is. The more money you make, the more taxes you pay (both as a percentage of income and the % you are taxed at). It's always been like that. Everyone needs a tax cut.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:38 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• But if you have more shouldnt you be taxed more? The middle class is zonked out?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• If you have more you are already being taxed more; The % of tax increases as you make more money. I've never understood this, why should the upper class be paying a higher percentage when they are already contributing more because of how much they make? The lower and middle classes also receive a lot of tax cuts that the wealthier cannot take (daycare, for example). If you look at the tax tables, it's clear who is being over taxed.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• They have not stopped anything yet. (and why do people forget to consider all the Dems who voted against it)That vote was for show. There is still time and there will still be another vote. The question is really irrelevant because even if it did lapse for a week, the Republicans would take care of getting it back within days of being sworn in. They would have plenty of Dems to add to their votes and Obama with it passed, Obama would not dare veto it. It would be retroactive to the 1st.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:02 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Everyone needs to be taxed at the same rate. I'm tired of paying for those who choose only to do the minimum or nothing at all.  Everyone needs to pay their own way don't expect someone else to foot the bill for you.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Everyone needs to be taxed at the same rate. I'm tired of paying for those who choose only to do the minimum or nothing at all. Everyone needs to pay their own way don't expect someone else to foot the bill for you.

But EVERYONE DOESNT HAVE THE MONEY... I don't mind paying taxes to help unemployed people buy food and pay their rent. I do mind paying taxes to give it to people who don't need the extra cash, on average $10,000 a year or $1,000,000 over ten, all of it borrowed with you and me on the hook for it.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Do you know that about half of Americans pay no taxes at all? Half. That's ridiculous. Do you know that about 10% of the population pays about 40% of the taxes collected? That meas that the remaining 40% picks up the remaining 60% of the tax burden. Tell me, how is that fair? Tell me, why should the higher incomer earners have to pick up even more of the burden? They are already carrying far more than their fair share. Tell me, why should those who pay no taxes actually receive MORE money in their refund check than they paid in to the government? They get back every penny that was collected from them and then MORE than they paid in. How is that fair or right? Do you think that the rich should have to give up more of the money they earned so that those who have less should have that money? How is that right? I don't mind paying my fair share, either, but I do mind paying more than my fair share very much.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Let me simplify this for you OP. If everyone made $1,000 then everyone would pay $100.00 in taxes. Some people choose to make only $500.00 so their tax should be $50.00, some choose to make $5,000 then they would pay $500. What I am saying is everyone pays they same tax on every dollar they make and no one would be paying less and no one would be paying more. Therefore, everyone would carry their own weight. Why punish those who go out and overachieve when you will always have those who want handouts. Those that are looking for handouts from me think again. Those that stick their hands out and wanting me to support them will end up with stubs.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• So you guys really think that rich people pay all of the taxes assessed to them?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• The difference between the rich and the poor is that the rich have money saved up and working for them, instead of working for their money. The money that works for you is taxed differently than the money that you work for.

And, yes, the rich use the tax code to their advantage to pay the taxes they owe, just as the poor use the tax code to their advantage to get as much tax money as they can. This is why we need a more simple, more fair tax code.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 7, 2010