5 year old twin boys and discipline?

My 5 year old twin boys (almost 6) are out of control. They dont listen, they are rude and obnoxious. Time outs doesn't work and neither does taking away favourite toys. I need advice please?

Dezitwins

Asked by Dezitwins at 8:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Each of them has a "currency" which is THE most important thing to them. We used to take that away for an appropriate length of time as punishment. It won't necessarily be a toy. My youngest used to LOVE watching the trash truck. So, ocassionally we would say he would not be allowed to watch it. Zero in on what makes them tick. Be Consistent!! Don't threaten something unless you really will do it. Like saying "you will never watch TV again". That is unrealistic and not something you can follow through on. One other idea....my neice has a kindness chart in her home. The kids have to do the things on the chart and they get points or stickers for doing them. After a week or so they get a day out to the park, go out for ice cream, have a special meal, go to a museum, etc. It has worked wonders for them. Running out of space............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Also, I saw on Supernanny that she had the whole family play board games and do it with teams. Alternate the teams so the boys are team mates once in awhile. This will foster cooperation. Lastly, make sure they get enough one on one time with you and your SO. Plus praise when they do things right. This, along with positive reinforcement, goes a long way to making them feel special and lessen tensions. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Have you tried spanking? That's what worked with my children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:18 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i honestly have the same problem with my kids. try seperating them and put them in a corner with their noses touching the wall. if tht doesnt work try taking away the things they love the most.
    tld1221

Answer by tld1221 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Lord honey, I've worked in Day care for 6 yrs and I had some twins who were 5 they were out of control as well. We knew they were gonna be problems One kicked me in my knee and would throw the worst temper tantrums I've ever seen. Turns out when the mother finally was fed up she took them to the doctor one was dignosed with being Bi-polar with ADHD. Then when they put him on medication and calmed him down the other followed suit. turns out the other twin was acting out cuz he saw his brother doing it.
    future_mommy01

Answer by future_mommy01 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I do spank occasionally,but they will do the same thing they were spanked for after 10min. I tried the charts as well. No luck. They are starting Gr. R next year and they will be in seperate classes. I also have a very strong feeling that one or both of them have Adhd. Im at witts end fellow moms!
    Dezitwins

Comment by Dezitwins (original poster) at 5:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Pull their pants down and give them their age in spanks. If they do it again in a short amount of time give them an extra spank or 2. The good thing about doing it bare is you can see the effect your having. It makes it near impossible to cross a line over into abuse.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Dezitwins, I'm having the same issue...please let me know what helps if you find out anything! I am going to start a sticker chart but they just don't listen to me. It is so soooo frustrating.
    kimstwinsplus1

Answer by kimstwinsplus1 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2013