I went in a hot tub at 30 weeks pregnant and it was 100 degrees, could I have hurt the baby?

Alright ladies before you freak out let me explain exactly what happened. Everyone was in the hot tub and it was freezing outside, I had to wait an hour and a half until I could get a ride home, so instead of freezing I went in the hot tub only for five minutes at a time and then ten minutes out. I never went anything deeper then my waist and most the time just got my legs warm....now is there any chance it could have affected the baby? It didn't even feel hot like the baths I normally take, so I'm not too worried, but now I'm thinking my goodness how hot are my baths? sheesh....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• While you are pregnant, you should be careful about using spas or hot tubs. During pregnancy, there are always risks of harming your fetus if you overextend your time in a hot tub or even in a hot bath for that matter. As a rule of thumb you should never enter a hot tub during your first trimester, specifically for the first 28 days (when you may not even know you are pregnant unfortunately)..

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• During this crucial period when the spine is forming, temperatures over 100 degrees have been shown to cause neural tube defects and possibly increase your risk of miscarriage. After your first trimester is over however, you should be able to use a hot tub quite safely. While the risk of hurting your baby via hot tub is minimal at this stage, you should still take some precautions.When using a hot tub during pregnancy, you should make sure that the water is not too hot.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• This may sound funny because the very name of it is a hot tub, but you should never over heat your baby. This is much easier if you have a private hot tub. The hot tubs that are found in swimming pools always tend to be over heated. So if you have a hot tub at your house, lower the temperature a few hours prior to getting in. This can still be relaxing and enjoyable without being scorching hot. Many pregnant women use hot tubs in this fashion because they are still getting the benefits of the jets massaging their legs and back, but instead of being in hot water, they are being refreshed by cooler water.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• honestly i wouldnt worry to much. if u werent in there for long i dont think its that big of a deal. i did the same thing when i was pregnant with my son a few years ago. and he came out just fine
    hottmama71006

Answer by hottmama71006 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2008