My son is 9 months old and is still not crawling! I know that every baby is different, but does anyone have any advice about how to help him along?

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son didn't start crawling until he was 11 months old (walking at 14 months...he's on the slow side of normal, lol). He was pulling himself up on furniture before he crawled at all (not walking, just pulling himself up). The big thing doctors look for at 9 months is just that they're getting from place to place, whether it's be crawling, army crawling, walking, scooting, or just rolling. So developmentally, it sounds like he's doing fine, and there's still time for it to happen.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Get his favorite toy and set it just out of his reach so he is forced to try for it. Place him in crawling position and support his little body if he seems unstable. Also, see if he can stand with support, because if he can't, his little leg muscles may not be strong enough yet. My daughter crawls, but hardly more than four paces at a time because we have such a small living room, she doesn't need to crawl anymore than that, so try to put him in the biggest room in the house so he can explore and will be more likely to have to cruise around to do it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I know he is very strong because he has been standing with little help for a long time now and he loves to stand. When I put a toy in front of him, he just gets so frustrated and eventually stops trying to get it. We also have a very small living room and I think if we had more space it might encourage him to explore more!
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• he may not crawl. He just start walking instead. At this point, if he is more into standing than trying to crawl, you may want to start encouraging walking. My sister was about ten months old when she started walking. She could cruise around the living room as long as she was holding onto something.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Doctors say that its bad when babies dont crawl. they learn a lot of coordination when they crawl. ((But dont worry I am sure he will crawl, and be just fine)) What we did with my son was my husband would be on one side of the room and me and my son would be on the other. I would help my son by showing him how to crawl. I would take his hands and knees and show him how to do it. After about a day of that he is crawling all over the place... and he isnt even 8 months yet!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My son just started to crawl at 9 months old (walking at 11 months). I was always told to lay him on his belly and then put his knees under him, as if he were ready to crawl. I guess that was supposed to let him know how to do it....??
    A lot of people also told me, he'll crawl when he's ready..
    Good Luck!!
    katespring

Answer by katespring at 3:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2008