When you are in labor, do your muscles get tired? Is it really that hard?

I am in a pregnancy fitness class. More like boot camp preparing for labor. My instructor is really tough on us mommies (tough love) when she works out our thighs and pelvic region. She makes sure that we can barely walk after each workout. She says that this will prepare us to push easier, keep our legs spread apart for longer, and recover faster.

Is labor really that difficult? (minus the contractions and the pain) I am asking if it is really terrible on your muscles.

The Buns of Steel series was easier than this class!

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 2:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• the better shape you are in going into labor the better off you'll be. You will not tire as easily as out of shape mommies. You will recover faster and you have a much higher chance of a flatter tummy afterwards. Good For YOU!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It depends on how long you push. I was not tired the first 2 hours of pushing but that last half hour I was really worn out! But it goes by fast:)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I agree, I was out of shape, and numb from my belly down- the hardest part was holding up my huge, swollen, numb thighs... finally at the end of my labor the doc pulled my bead apart like a damn transformer and pulled up the stirrups to use those evil salad tongs (forceps) the pushing was SOOOO much easier then.. My mom was mad they didnt pull out the stirrups earlier. I feel I would have had the baby faster, 1 hour 15 minutes of pushing :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 2:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Honestly, every labor is different. With my first I was out of the bed within about an hour, walking around unassisted. With my second, they had to move us afterward and it was about 2 hours afterward, I needed a wheelchair. I was actually in better shape with my second than my first, but my second labor was long and hard, where my first was really easy and short.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I was really out of shape by the time I went into labor because I couldn't really exercise from about 20 weeks on, and I had a very long and difficult labor and delivery. At the time it seemed like a breeze because I was on LOTS of drugs. But the following day I felt like I had been hit by a semi and it took me weeks to recover to a point where I could even just walk like a normal person. My muscles were wrecked from head to toe. Even my arms hurt. Next time around I hope to stay in better shape so it won't be so hard on me. You're doing good work. You'll be glad you worked so hard.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Every labor is different, whether you're in shape or not. You can't really go by anybody else's experiences.
    Anonymous

• i don't think you're muscles will start giving out in labor. I felt soreness in my legs the next day, but not during labor. I was all natural, homebirth, so I moved around a lot. I wish I had a pregnancy fitness class around me, but I am a personal trainer and ab instructor.... so I'm in good shape. 19 weeks along too.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• If you are in good shape, good chance that you will have a shorter easier labor. I just got luck. I was in labor for less than 6 hours with each of my girls. I am not in shape. I did not have that transition where you think you can not make it. I think its phase two. I went from labor pain to 6-7 pushes and a baby in my arms. I could not walk very well afterward but it is labor.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2008