What makes you deserving of respect?

Does simply being a member of a particular religion give you a free pass to demand certain treatment from others? Or do you have to first prove yourself, as an individual, as being worthy of it? Is respect the default that is extended to any random stranger, or is respect something important and more valuable that you reserve for those who earn it?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:47 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Only the fact that I give respect makes me deserving.

Answer by older at 8:48 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• But do you just hand that out randomly?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• being a good person makes anyone deserving of respect. it doesn't have anything to do with religion imo. i treat everyone with respect until they show me through their actions or words that they do not deserve it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I deserve respect because I go out of my way not to disrespect others. It has nothing to do with what I believe or don't believe. But since we are talking about religion, I think that someone who goes around insulting others for their beliefs or lack of beliefs isn't worthy of respect for their beliefs. For example, if I were to hate on atheists for being "blind", Christians for being "brainwashed by a book of myths", and pagans for being "rebellious instead of spiritual"- I really couldn't expect anyone to respect my beliefs, could I?
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I show respect to everyone I come in contact with. I feel everyone deserves it unless they give me a reason not to.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes I do. I think everyone deserves it and if during the given of such respect I get disrespected, mine goes out the window quickly.

Answer by older at 8:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes I do. I think everyone deserves it and if during the given of such respect I get disrespected

(I'm not picking on you, you just have interesting answers)
    Do you equate respect to common courtesy, or do you consider it to be more meaningful?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't worry so much about recieving respect as I do to show it to others. Unless their actions or words give me pause to not return the sentiment I will respect others.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I give everyone respect. People can lose respect many different ways, but they can gain it back.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I start with the idea that everyone deserves respect. Even when someone acts disrespectfully, I TRY (not always succeed) to continue to be respectful because I am now an adult and when I act badly, it reflects on me. If this is in response to the JFC post- I have stayed off that one-its a no win post. For me, I would refrain from using that type of language on here because I know it inflames and for the most part it is not what I am after. When upset, I try to go to the source rather than throw out the hand grenade that I know will derail the post and collect others as collateral damage. Do I mess up and say and do things I regret- of course- but do I continually whine and keep the wounds open-I hope not!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2010