When do toddlers outgrow the need to constantly keep getting out of bed for hours?

My son used to be a great sleeper, but no more:( He'll be 3 in March and is cutting his last few molars ... part of it? I am longing for the days when I'd put him to bed and he'd stay there and sleep right away! It seems like everyone goes through this stage, so I'm wondering how long did it last for you?

JZ10FPM

Asked by JZ10FPM at 8:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have a routine? We read every night, have since they were babies, then walk out and they go to sleep. They are 7 and 8 now and have never gotten up for hours.... Maybe try to set a bedtime routine if you haven't. Also be firm about bedtime. If he gets up walk him back in, and stand there at the door without making eye contact and let him know he's not to get up. You may have to do that for a week or less to let him know you're serious about bedtime...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• They outgrow it when their parents stop running to them every time they cry at night. It's just that simple. You are in total control.
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 8:53 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• it didn't last long...... a week maybe. i just put him back in bed and make sure to give him the don't get out of bed lecture when i first lay him down. that works well for me. with my first son it took a week....with the second son it took less than that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• He just wants the security of knowing you are there. Kids wake up in a room alone and get scared. Once he sees or hears you he is ok.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:00 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My son just turned 4 and he still gets up alot, then again, I am not that strict on him being in bed. He pretty much falls asleep when he falls asleep, at a reasonable time obviously. But he gets up and comes out to the living room, then goes back to bed and yeah, you get the point!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My daughter is two and a half and loves bed time I hope it lasts lol but we make a fun routine where we play in the tub get bundled up and read a story then we sing you are my sunshine and play a lullaby cd while she falls asleep. It works wonders
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 8:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• He will keep doing this until you put a stop to it. It's a part of the ploy to be in charge of his own life, and at his age, he is simply too young to be allowed to control the sleeping habits of himself, much less the whole household. When he gets up, put him right back in his bed with the stern warning that he will be disciplined if he does it again. We spank for such blatant disobedience in our family. He doesn't have to go to sleep(you don't have the power to make him), but he does have to stay in his bed(you do have the power to make him do that!). This is about more than not wanting to go to sleep. This is about his disregarding your parental authority and you must not allow that to continue. Teach him to obey you in the matter of going to bed, and you will have won some much more serious battles that will arise later on. Always look at the big picture and see this for what it really his--his desire to be in charge!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't run to him, never have. He gets up out of bed, opens his door and comes out (relatively quietly). I silently take him back to bed and repeat as necessary. We have a pretty consistent bedtime routine (quiet play, medications, brush teeth, stories, then lights off with softly-playing CD and his turtle night-light).

I was wondering the typical length of this phase, since it seems many go through it, thanks!
    JZ10FPM

Comment by JZ10FPM (original poster) at 9:11 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Geez NannyB, power control trip much?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• im sorry, my kids haven't gone through that. once they slept thru the night they kept doing it. hope you find something that works, sorry you have to keep getting up in the middle of the night :(
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2010