why does no one respect this?

everyone that knows me knows I don't drink so it's now their goal to have me drink. It's a personal choice I have made to never drink and have stood by it my whole life. Does anyone else find this disrespectful? Like the first time it was Haha okay funny but everyday I hear "Heidi is today the day? I know a great place. "

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 9:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well since you laughed it off they don't know what a huge deal it is to you. you need to sit them down and have a serious talk with them about it. tell them how you feel and that you feel like they are being very disrespectful and you don't think it's funny. but be serious....if you say it in a joking way they won't get it and they'll keep on.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It is disrespectful. You've made a decision that's right for you, why should they care if you drink or not? Stand by your choices, and please let them know that their comments were funny for awhile, but it's getting old.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think if they are just joking around that maybe you should just joke back. It is the real pressuring that would be disrespecful. Like them making fun of you for not drinking or giving you drinks. Good for you though!!! I drink very, very rarely, maybe one drink every 3 or 4 months and no one really understands why. But I don't feel like I am missing anything! My grandfather was an alcoholic and I know what drinking CAN do to a person so I refrain. A personal choice but people do need to respect it.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I hate that too. I know the feeling. It is your body and if you do not feel like drinking than it is up to you. No one else should encourage you otherwise. I have lost a lot of friends because of that same belief, but its ok. You look and feel better and in the long run , you'll look much younger too.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• In my youth, I was like you, and everybody, it seemed, thought they could entice me to partake. I just said "no, thank you." Eventually, they will stop if you don't make a big deal out of it. If your "friends" think they are getting to you, it will be even more fun for them to aggravate you. So just smile and "just say no." The game will cease to be fun for them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:13 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• They'll sit there and say oh there's Mormon Heidi who won't drink god won't know. But it has nothing to do with religion I just like to be in control of my body lol
    Heidikans

Comment by Heidikans (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• exactly. When I see pics of people drinking it makes me laugh because they look so silly. It just ages your skin, your eyes get bloated and then those heavy drinkers get that puffy eye look , yuck.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I am also like you op, but let them make fun, you are smarter than they are!

Answer by older at 9:18 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Well, instead of making it confrontational or some kind of game/competition about superiority as some have suggested, just tell them how you feel. They are your friends. They will understand if you let them know that it is not funny (like they think it is) and is becoming tiresome for you to keep hearing and dealing with. They'll probably be embarrassed or feel badly because they didn't realize how it made you feel. Then, of course, there may be some who really aren't your friend and won't stop...but those are the ones you don't really need around anyway, right?

Congratulations to you for sticking to your guns. You know that you don't want to drink and you don't let anyone push you into it. You're ahead of a lot of people in the game of life because many people cave in to societal pressures. Kudos to you!
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 9:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Very likely they feel less because they drink or need to drink. Maybe you need to look for a different y\type of friend.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:36 AM on Dec. 6, 2010