Too young for makeup?

Wanted some other moms opinions. My 11 year old (well, she will be in a few weeks) wants to wear a little bit of makeup to school. I'm thinking "my baby is beautiful and too young to wear makeup already". However, after visiting her school for functions and whatnot, I've noticed that she is the minority. Most of the girls in her class wear it. I was allowed to wear makeup at 10, but after having children, I look back and think that was too young. Not really sure why though. I never acted inappropiate or anything. Not even really sure why it matters. Any moms out there have something to share on this? Let me be clear, that I'm not looking for drama-queen answers that question my parental capabilities for even asking such a question. Thanks in advance.

CHRISTINA379

Asked by CHRISTINA379 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• well, i wouldn't let her wear foundation or anything like that yet. at 10, i would probably let my daughters (if they were asking to wear makeup) wear light blush and lip gloss. maybe eyeshadow. 10, imo, is still too young for mascara and eyeliner.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I personally think it to young as well.
    I dont think I would allow it yet.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 9:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think 10 is too young. My daughter is 9 and half and wears only lip gloss. She's never asked to wear anything other than that anyway. I have not seen the 9 & 10 year old girls at her school wearing makeup either. Up til I was 14, I was only allowed to wear a little powder and lip gloss, and that seems reasonable to me. There is absolutely NO NEED for little girls to look so adult like so many people seem to want to do these days.
    My 9 year old will not wear booty shorts that say "hottie" or "juicy" on the bottom, she will not wear mini skirts with knee-high boots, and she will not wear make up.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:46 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'd say lipgloss only.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I wasnt allowed to wear anything til i was 12 then lipgloss only.
    airyvandy

Answer by airyvandy at 9:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i would say sure you can wear makeup and take her to buy some lipgloss. when she is 16 we can go shopping for other makeup, but not until 16.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• thanks ladies. she wants to wear lipgloss with a light pink tint and a pale purple shadow is all. maybe it's the just the area where we live, but most ot the girls in her class (she is in middle school, they start in 5th grade here) wear dark colors, mostly black around their eyes. they look ridiculous.
    CHRISTINA379

Comment by CHRISTINA379 (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I didn't get to wear make up till I was 12 and then I only got To wear mascara
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 9:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My daughter can wear make up at 12 which she will be in April. BUT, she can't wear it to school till she is in 7th grade. My daughter has always been allowed to wear a lip gloss, provided it was a muted color. But as far as blush and eye shadow, eye liner and mascara goes, not till 12
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• A light lip gloss and really pale eyeshadow is ok, I let my DD wear it at home, but her school doesn't allow her to wear it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2010