An unlikely ally for gay marraige?

I saw this this morning, and thought it was interesting.

Ted Olson's role as gay marriage advocate has raised eyebrows on both the right and the left.................

Olson says that for him, the case was a natural, and as he talked about it, his eyes repeatedly filled with tears.

"We're talking about an effect upon millions of people and the way they live their everyday life and the way they're treated in their neighborhood, in their schools, in their jobs," Olson said. "If you are a conservative, how could you be against a relationship in which people who love one another want to publicly state their vows ... and engage in a household in which they are committed to one another and become part of the community and accepted like other people?"...........

.................Olson likens the discrimination faced by gays and lesbians to that experienced by racial minorities. As a college debater traveling in the South, he witnessed such treatment firsthand when restaurants refused to serve his team because one member was African-American. Decades later, Olson calls it a "searing memory."

Your thoughts?

Gay marriage's unlikely legal warrior

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No carpy

Its a civil rights issue

The state has no reason to vote on anyone else's spouse choice
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• John Mccain's wife is a supporter of same sex marriage....but John Mccain is not....very interesting. Wonder if they debate it at dinner...lol!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I applaud him!  Everyone, of legal consenting age should be able to marry, if they want. 

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't care who it is, or what their background is, or why they're doing it - I applaud any support for legalizing gay marriages, or any support for any gay rights. In my opinion, they aren't even gay rights - they're human rights.

And I agree that the current level of discrimination against gays, and the level of acceptance of such discrimination in our society today, is hauntingly similar to the socially acceptable, rampant racial discrimination of past years. I can't wait for the day when this darkness lifts and discriminatory behavior and attitudes are perceived as shameful instead of acceptable. I know we will look back on these days with regret and disbelief someday.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Dick Cheney supports it too.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Dick Cheney supports it too.

which is total bs,,,,when he was in office and COULD speak on it and possibly affect change...he said NOTHING

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It is obvious the man has a good head on his shoulders and the heart where is suppose to be, common sense will tell anyone that discrimination is wrong!

Answer by older at 10:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• thumbs up for Olson on this one!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:31 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Ted Olsen seems like one of te good guys.....we need more like him in the world. ANd I bet the McCains don't see each other enough to discuss Gay Marriage....LOL.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• it's NOT a state issue, it's a PRIVATE issue
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010