Christmas ?

This year has been rough on us,hours being cut back at work.I cannot spend what I usually do and our family is growing,New sil this year.I have 2 at home 2 married.Does anyone have a spending limit?I don't know how to shop for 9 ppl on a few hundred dollars.any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Holidays

• ask them what would be a really meaningful present for them. tell them that you want to buy things that mean alot instead of costing alot. they'll understand i'm sure. they will probably prefer it that way anyhow.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• my husband has a large family and we buy for our neices and nephews but all of the adults draw names and we set a limit of $75. It gets really difficult when you have a lot of people to buy for.
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Christmas is not about presents and spending money. If you cant afford it why would you put youself in that psoition and thing you have to? I fyou get you kids each something that comes from the heart thats should be enough.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would think the ones at home would get a little more since they are younger and not married but depending on your family that may not be fair. I would tell all the kids in advance that due to the hard year you are cutting back on spending and focusing more on time with them. Maybe look up ideas to add to your meal time together to make it extra special. We like to play cards (usually rummy) and the winner doesnt have to help with dishes. Maybe have everyone write a goal down for 2011 and hide them somewhere. next year at Christmas time read them and see if anyone accomplished their goal. I think you could find something nice for you kids for $25 to $30. They are adults and it would be a good lesson for them to see you be responsible and get what you can instead of going into debt. This may end up being their favorite Christmas!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• 9 people on a "few hundred"? That's not really all that difficult! $300 divided by 9 = 33 bucks each. You can buy a pretty nice gift for $30.
    There are so many people who don't have food or heat or homes. I read things like this and I wonder how it is that people don't see how blessed they are. You have your family members ... many young children have suffered the death of a parent this year and families will be struggling with grief and loss. You have what's important - you have your loved ones. And you're blessed enough to have money for gifts too. It doesn't get much better than that.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2010