My son is almost four and will not poop in the potty. He holds it in until he has an accident in his pants :( We have tried every thing! So today we are staying in all day and getting on the potty every hour for 10 mins.. Advice please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't have any 'advice' for you, just wanted to let you know you are not alone, my 4yr old is being VERY STUBBORN and RESISTIVE to using the potty as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't think making him sit on the potty all day will help. I think some kids just take longer. My oldest would ask for a diaper. We told him if he would poop in the potty we would get him the toy he wanted. He did and gothis skates.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My son was the same way. He was 3 and could pee on the potty like a pro. But when he had to poop he would hide somewhere and try to hold it in. He would be all clenched and sweaty, until he couldn't hold it in anymore. One day, my husband and I were moving a dresser down the basement. It was heavy, we were struggling. We saw him in the corner doing his thing. My husband started screaming at him "Get on that potty right now! Poop in the potty!!!". He ran to the potty and pooped. We never really yelled at him before. After he realized it wasn't a big deal he was able to do it. Good luck pooping today!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't push him. Pull up it till he decides he doesnt like to be poopy. He will pee on the potty. I had one who did this and I backed off. It took 2 weeks and he woke up and said he was ready to poop on the potty and has ever since.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You might be right about that, but i dont know what else to do. He has been holding it in so much that he gets rashes (bc little spurts come out and he itches it) and he gets stomach aches from holding it in. We have tried rewards, books, charts and stickers, we even took away some toys (i hated doing that). I feel like it has become a battle of the wills. I fear that this will become a medical issue for him if we dont do it now. I wonder if i am putting to much pressure on him. He says he just dosent want to do it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We had to do exactly what you are doing with my stepson, he still has accidents but he is getting to know that when he has the feeling to go he has to get to the bathroom. It may take a little while but eventually it will all work out.
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 10:48 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You didn't mention if he was hiding when he did finally go but if he hides in the same spot maybe put a training potty in that spot and see if he will go . With my son it helped to make a really big deal out of it I would clap and act so excited dancing idk good luck.
    Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 12:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010