I live in a cave..can someone please explain the Wiki leaks thing to me?

Seriously, I don't have cable and I'm lucky if my wifi connects to any sites other than this one, I can't even get facebook. Please start from the very beginning and explain it to me as though I am in kindergarten?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think the government should be allowed to keep so much from the public when it's OUR lives at risk, nvr their own. It's OUR family members, friends, etc. that are overseas fighting imaginary wars and dying while they sit in their posh offices or on expensive vacations.
    daydreaminmom

Answer by daydreaminmom at 2:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• What if the information shows that the war if a farce? Should we know that information? I think we have the right to know if our love ones are dying for no good reason.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Gammie, I agree

He is now a tartget for exposing some nasty truths

And no uproar has been made about the disturbing content...just that it was released
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It was originally a free speech site to let people access information anonymously to protect the identity of sources and support journalists who could be called to the carpet if they refuse to reveal them. The guy in charge of it is the worlds biggest narcissist, and over time the site has morphed from a free speech thing to a thing to make him famous, and he releases confidential information for the pure shock value with no regard to the consequences. He was originally endorsed by Amnesty International and journalism organizations around the world. As he makes more and more irresponsible releases, those groups have withdrawn their support.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• A soldier hacked into classified documents, and a man is releasing them to the public

Everyone is pissed at him (interpool added him to their most wanted list) for exposing the docs..

No one seems to upset with the laws that were broken by the powers that be,,,,curious.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• What kind of info was released? That seems to be the crux of the issue?

You name it - the site has been running for years, just a lot of people haven't heard of it until recently. Everything from government classified records to sorority initiation rituals. If it's secret and someone sends it to them, they release it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:39 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• And no uproar has been made about the disturbing content...just that it was released

Just because you ignore the uproar doesn't mean it's not happening. Besides, the main flaw with his site is there is NO accountability and no proof of authenticity. He could invent things from whole cloth, post them, and then claim they were sent to him by a disgruntled DoD employee. Nobody can prove otherwise. His reckless actions have eroded his credibility, which was already on shaky ground because of the authenticity issue.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• "And no uproar has been made about the disturbing content...just that it was released "

Actually, I am upset that the Presidents (not sure if that's what they're called, sorry) of Middle Eastern countries are asking Pres. Obama what he (or America) is going to do about Iran. Our allies in the Middle East want to know that they'll be safe and they don't feel that now. It's the same thing from our conservative politicians..What are we going to do about Iran? But he keeps ignoring the issue to further his agenda. It's the same dance, just a different party.
    As far as the military stuff, many are also upset about that. Contrary to "popular" opinion, many Republicans don't automatically support EVERYTHING Bush did and refuse to criticise a decision, even if it's wrong. Should we know about all of this? I haven't fully decided my opinion of that yet, but there's a time, a place, and a WAY to do it..and this is not the WAY.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

^^Yes and two days ago I heard that he may be tried for espionage. But it is not clear what he can be charged with.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:36 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Dec. 6, 2010