Is the jump in unemployment normal?

Every year in July and December the unemployment claims rise, due to automotive shutdowns for changeover in summer and winter and added to it in the winter is standard layoffs in agriculture and construction which generally begin in November.

Are they both playing politics with the jump?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 10:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely. Unemployment has peaks and valleys every year, but that's not going to stop either side from using "rising" unemployment numbers from supporting their side.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• How many people do you know who are unemployed or under-employed because they can't find a job in their normal field? I know many people who are barely hanging on financially. The automotive industry and agriculture area only a tiny part of our economy now. This unemployment is in no way "normal" if you check your history. The US has never had these kinds of unemployment levels for this long a period of time. And, it is not just our country. You may want to excuse the news as political, but for the millions who are out of work and struggling...it is very real. Talk to some of them.
    homeworkmom1

Answer by homeworkmom1 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• home above is correct. This is the really BAD, and it will take YEARS to fully recover.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:42 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Out here it is. Everyone get's laid off because everything is too frozen to work and it isn't that easy to find something else in the meantime.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I know many people who are barely hanging on financially.

You may want to excuse the news as political, but for the millions who are out of work and struggling...it is very real. Talk to some of them.

I live in Michigan. It can't get any more real for me. I also know just about every factory around her supplies automotive. There are about 5,000 people that are laid off now due to changeover in my area alone.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I guess we will know next month and the next and the next...........
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Well, yes. Of course it is. Many businesses slow in the winter.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:49 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Probably a regular business cycle, only exacerbated by the unemployment across the board.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2010