My 11 month old had a fever of 102 last night...

He's been sleeping over 12 hours, but ive heard him wake up and whine throughout the night...i havn't heard anything out of him in over 3 hours..should i check on him, wake him up to check his temperature??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would!

Answer by older at 10:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Just feel him and see how hot he is. 102 is high but it is OK.

Remember that the fever has a purpose. It is the body's way of fighting off a virus or infection. Unless it gets dangerously high or he is super uncomfortable, don't work too hard to bring the fever down. I'll bet when he wakes up, you'll find his fever is lower, since he's had a chance to rest and let his body do its work.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• 102 isnt really that high. I wouldnt wake him but check on him. If he is overly hot wake him and take his temp.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would then let him go back to sleep I know all my son needs when he's sick is to sleep
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 10:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Just feel him, you don't have to wake him to tell he has a fever. If he has a fever, you'll know it right away. I would let him sleep even if he's hot. When he gets up give him motrin and a cool bath. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:31 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• touch his neck, the back of the neck, his back & chest. if he has a fever all of those areas will be hot to the touch too, not just his forehead. i would go in and see how he's doing.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Go check on him, he's probably just sleepy from fighting a bug but it's a good idea to check in every so often and make sure his temp hasn't gone up more.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Thanks ladies! His temp is still the same, fluctuating between 100s and 101s. Hopefully he's feeling better soon!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2010