need to get oil filled radiator heater.. tips and advice?

we are going to get some oil filled radiator heaters for our house but we have an issue. our ceilings are outrageously high, and the living room is open, no doors to close to keep the heat in one room. What oil filled radiator heater do you recommend? any other advice on how to keep the house warm for cheap is appreciated. we have oil heating and can't afford to keep filling up the tank for heat.

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 10:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We use a very tall electric oil heater at our hunt camp. The height helps keep the room temp more level. For the hall ways that come in to that large room I would consider buying an adjustable pressure shower curtain rod to hang some thermal backed curtains that will reach all the way to the floor to keep closed in the winter to help. My parents did this at their house in NC with a great room with 30 foot high ceilings. The two halls coming in were the regular 8 foot so we put a set at each entrance and it worked great. They used a free standing fire stove as heat in there during the day but let it burn out at night. The curtains also helped the rest of the house stay warm at night and not loose all thier heat to that tall colder room.
    Soap911

Answer by Soap911 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• there are so many out there! It is hard, I guess research, research. No matter what kind you get make sure it has safety features. I am not sure if you mean the type of heaters you plug in the wall or not, if so, make sure they have the feature that if they get knocked over, or moved too much, tipped, etc. they shut off. With ceilings that are high is going to make it harder, (efficiency), I would guess. Can you ask the workers at what ever store you plan to buy it from? I mean if its at a lowe's or home depot kind of place? Good luck
    Nonie73

Answer by Nonie73 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2010